Nova Panic editor (and extensions)

I had a look at this and it seems nice.
But as it seems the vim support does not include search / so this is a no-go for me.

Did not notice anything that does not work in ElixirLS - except for find references, but that doesn’t work in vscode either. (I used the new experimental plugin which was updated a month ago, not the old one)

Can you clarify? Do you mean that Nova isn’t using the queries in tree-sitter-elixir’s highlights.scm file?

Yes, that is what I mean.

The special macros like __MODULE__, __DIR__, etc are highlighted like ignored variables _foo. doc comments are highlighted as strings, etc.

I find the same thing happens in a lot of places that use tree-sitter-elixir, like Zed.

I’ve tried nova a few times looking for that nice native experience, but I just cannot get back to a tabbed editor. I’ve been disabling tabs on my editors for years now, navigating just by jumping back and forth between recently edited files, which doesn’t seem to be a supported usecase for nova.

I just released 2 Nova extensions that might help in case you’re interested:

Go To Tab and Open Recent

1 Like

i hate tabs. i wish to work in VR so i can have all active files just open :smiley:

but for now - could you talk more about how you navigate open files? i’d love to figure out a better workflow.

In vscode i use cmd+p to open fuzzy search for files and sometimes the explorer in the sidebar. Then I have (shift+)cmd+e (custom, taken from phpstorm iirc)[1] to switch back and forth on the stack of recently opened files. Vscode can also jump between cursor locations with (shift+)ctrl+-(need to find a better keybinding for that)[2], which can sometimes be useful if you’re working in multiple places of the same file. Not sure if that helps, given for me the goal is to have just one thing in front of me at a time – hence why tabs are disabled – and less to have everything in front of me. If I really need multiple things at the same time I usually temporarily open them side by side – most often jumping back and forth is easier though.

1: workbench.action.quickOpenNavigateNextInEditorPicker
2: workbench.action.quickInputBack

2 Likes

seems like a step in the right direction. i remember when i started with programming (Python/PHP) then i would set bookmarks across the app (line specific) so i could jump between them in sequence. then it became too cumbersome.

i’d love a way to expand my (brains) working memory. tabs suck, because they offer no context anyway so ctrp+p fits my brain better. but actually seeing important functions in a row would be great.

also - sorry for derailing :slight_smile:

The font rendering on modern monitors is on point too :ok_hand: