Nova Panic editor (and extensions)

Hey everybody. I was wondering if anybody here has used Panic’s Nova editor.

It came out recently and I saw there was no Elixir Formatter extension, so I built one. This extension depends on another general Elixir language support extension.

Hopefully this helps out any Elixir devs who want to try out the new editor. Happy coding!

9 Likes

Yup, it’s really cool. Unfortunately the Elixir extension that adds syntax highlighting doesn’t do a very good job so I won’t be using it until either someone makes a better one, improves the existing one, or I stumble into enough free time to do it myself. :sweat_smile:

Yeah I recently tried this one out. Looks quite promising but as it’s quite new it still lacks support for most of my daily use languages. Would totally give it a try and even consider switching from VSCode if Elixir support would be better (language server integration) and if the TypeScript extension would not crash the editor :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if he’s published it yet, but Carl Brand on the Elixir Slack has started on an ElixirLS extension for Nova, and has made some headway.

3 Likes

Hey, it has been published but Nova seems to be handling the language server implementation differently. The code is on GitHub if anyone wants to contribute - it’s my first extension so might be going in the wrong direction. Nova just implemented the Snippets protocol for language servers but still isn’t working correctly so investigating that right now.

2 Likes

Great! Can you post a link to the code on GitHub?

Sure you can find the repo at: https://github.com/brandc87/nova-elixirls
@pinksynth suggested we combine the formatter in one extension but not rely on the language server and invoke mix format so I’m just about to push changes for that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hands down this is the most snappy editor on the macOS and native experience is brilliant.

2 Likes

Looks like it’s come on a fair bit since I last saw it - might have to give it a go again :smiley:

It was on sale earlier this year as well - not sure why I didn’t pick it up then!

Think it might have been because:

I notice they have some options to turn most of that off now:

But still, every time I open it and a document it wants to connect to Gravatar! Why!?

Lolwhut :sweat_smile:

Social features for the editor should be optional. They have super decent customer support - try to shoot an email.

1 Like

Not sure why pulling avatars (probably as part of their git integration) is so unexpected. They could’ve used gitlab/github APIs, but those will expectedly only work for github/gitlab users.

Not everyone uses gh or gl :upside_down_face: I feel any cloud or social features really should be opt in.

I like how TextMate never connects to the web unless you have updates switched on or if you need to install a bundle:

I don’t like how apps want to dial home or connect to some service just because you happen to open/use it - every time your machine connects to them they have your IP address and potentially store a record of your activities/usage. Imo apps should only ever connect to the web if they either clearly need to in order to function (eg, a social network or chat app) or if you specifically allow the request…

1 Like

How is Elixir support in Nova now? When I tried it a while ago it wasn’t great and syntax highlighting was weird.

VS Code’s git lens extension has avatars, probably something similar

1 Like

There are several extensions that add support for Elixir, the most recent one seems to be GitHub - raulchedrese/nova-elixir-ls: Elixir Language Server extension for Nova. which uses the elixir-ls. I’ve been trying it out for a few days, and it works OK overall. I’ve experienced some minor glitches with formatters, but nothing too major. I really love the look and feel of Nova, so definitely hoping for the plugin to continue to get updates :star_struck:

1 Like

Panic - Nova

Has anyone tried this editor for Elixir/Phoenix work?

VSCode lately has been destroying my battery life and I’m just curious about a fully native app.

2 Likes

I am and it has been a bit rough. I like the native “feel” and the terminal integration (although the latter is not perfect). But language extension support is pretty bad. I haven’t been able to get autocompletions or snippets to work well at all, and even syntax highlighting is kind of wonky.

2 Likes

Nova being Mac-only: Having a native editor can work wonders for performance and integration, but I advice to use a multi-OS (mac,win, linux) solution. If you ever need to switch OS at least you don’t have to start from scratch.

So no; never used for Phoenix :wink:

1 Like

I want to like Nova but every time I did a trial version I just encountered too many little quirks to really embrace it. After the death of Atom I switched to Zed for the past few months but it’s still a bit underbaked at this point so I’m considering a switch to Nova again.

Yes, I’ve been using Nova every day for about 9 months. I love using a Mac editor written by Mac developers.

Autocompletion works better as of the last couple releases:

Snippets work for me too:

It’s definitely not as feature-rich as some other editors, and there are still definitely bugs and quirks, but I enjoy using it personally.

1 Like

Nova has tree-sitter support but I find that this and most other things that use tree-sitter-elixir have bad syntax highlighting since they don’t implement the queries like tree-sitter-elixir/highlights.scm at main · elixir-lang/tree-sitter-elixir · GitHub