maz
Using the live_beats transcoding as a basis for this code, I’m transcribing an audio file. Sometimes, though, the very last segment will fail the entire batch run because it will attempt to transcribe silence.
cannot build an empty tensor
[error] Task #PID<0.2261.0> started from #PID<0.1557.0> terminating
** (ArgumentError) cannot build an empty tensor
(nx 0.6.4) lib/nx.ex:2062: Nx.from_binary/3
(cool_app 1.5.1) lib/cool_app/multimedia/audio.ex:10: anonymous fn/3 in CoolApp.Audio.speech_to_text/3
(elixir 1.14.2) lib/task/supervised.ex:89: Task.Supervised.invoke_mfa/2
(elixir 1.14.2) lib/task/supervised.ex:34: Task.Supervised.reply/4
(stdlib 4.2) proc_lib.erl:240: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3
Function: &:erlang.apply/2
Args: [#Function<0.33943372/1 in CoolApp.Audio.speech_to_text/3>, [3740]]
I’d like to catch the error and ignore it, possbily in the Enum.map. I thought of a case do but I want to avoid generating a nil and having that returned.
Suggestions on how to “escape hatch” out of this and avoid losing the batch job?
cribbed from live_beats:
def speech_to_text(path, chunk_time, func) do
{:ok, stat} = CoolApp.MP3Stat.parse(path)
0..stat.duration//chunk_time
|> Task.async_stream(
fn ss ->
args = ~w(-ac 1 -ar 16k -f f32le -ss #{ss} -t #{chunk_time} -v quiet -)
{data, 0} = System.cmd("ffmpeg", ["-i", path] ++ args)
{ss, Nx.Serving.batched_run(WhisperServing, Nx.from_binary(data, :f32))}
end,
max_concurrency: 2,
timeout: :infinity
)
|> Enum.map(fn
{:ok, {ss, %{results: [%{text: text}]}}} -> func.(ss, text)
end)
end
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
maz
I made a workaround which seems to fix the problem when an empty tensor is generated(it happens when the audio ends precisely at a moment divisible by 20 seconds).