benonymus

benonymus

Hey,

I have been using quantum for cron kind of jobs in a project, and when 2 instances of this project were running the jobs were running 2 which is not surprising. I know this could be solved(highlander etc.) but I have been eyeing with Oban for a while.

This is a quote from their readme:

Periodic (CRON) Jobs — Automatically enqueue jobs on a cron-like schedule. Duplicate jobs are never enqueued, no matter how many nodes you’re running.

Does this mean that if I have 2 instances of the same project running while connected to 1 database I would not see these jobs duplicated anymore without doing any additional work(other than setting up Oban and migrating the jobs)?

Thank you

Showing Posts 1 to 6

sorentwo

sorentwo

Oban Core Team

Yes. That’s exactly what it means :slightly_smiling_face:

jan-mb-me

jan-mb-me

Hi,

What are the criteria for duplicates in case of the Oban.Plugins.Cron? Would the following crontab entries be handled as duplicates or two distinct jobs?

{"0 * * * *", MyApp.HourlyWorker, args: %{custom: "arg"}},
{"0 * * * *", MyApp.HourlyWorker, args: %{custom: "some other value"}},

My use case would be to change my worker’s arguments with a new release.

Thank you in advance.

sorentwo

sorentwo

Oban Core Team

That’s a perfectly fine change. Those would be different jobs because the args are different.

No unique checks would apply anyhow, because it’s inserting those jobs an hour apart and the default unique period is only for 59 seconds.

jan-mb-me

jan-mb-me

Thanks. Just to be sure I understand it correctly here’s the sequence I get out of this:

  1. app starts with a single crontab entry with hourly worker args: %{custom: "arg"}
  2. cron plugin adds a job instance with args: %{custom: "arg"} scheduled to run in an hour
  3. app is shut down before the job ran
  4. app starts with a single crontab entry but now with hourly worker args: %{custom: "some other value"}
  5. cron plugin adds a job instance with args: %{custom: "some other value"} scheduled to run one hour from now
  6. one hour after step 2 the first job (with args: %{custom: "arg"}) is executed, no new instance is added anymore
  7. one hour after step 5 the second job (with args: %{custom: "some other value"}) is executed
  8. cron plugin adds a job instance with args: %{custom: "some other value"} scheduled to run one hour from now
sorentwo

sorentwo

Oban Core Team

That’s not quite right.

Cron doesn’t schedule jobs to run later, it inserts them right at the time they’re supposed to run (at the top of the minute). Whichever args are set in your code when the plugin runs is what will be inserted.

jan-mb-me

jan-mb-me

Ah, makes sense. Thanks a lot for your time and this great project.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews