jonbo

jonbo

Hi all,

Trying to figure out exceptions raised within an Oban task are not being caught by my error handler, even after registering it through Telemetry. I’m following along with the guide on the repo.

My handler (pretty much copied form docs):

defmodule MyApp.ErrorReporter do
  require Logger

  def handle_event([:oban, :job, :exception], measure, meta, _) do
    context =
      meta
      |> Map.take([:id, :args, :queue, :worker])
      |> Map.merge(measure)

    Logger.info("handling Oban exception")
    IO.inspect(meta, lablel: "meta")
    Honeybadger.notify(meta.error, context, meta.stack)
  end

  def handle_event([:oban, :circuit, :trip], _measure, meta, _) do
    context = Map.take(meta, [:name])

    Honeybadger.notify(meta.error, context, meta.stack)
  end
end

:ok = :telemetry.attach_many(
  "oban-errors",
  [[:oban, :job, :exception], [:oban, :circuit, :trip]],
  &Carriage.ErrorReporter.handle_event/4,
  nil
)

(Note that it’s a little odd that the attach_many call is happening here, instead of application.ex.. However, it does fire, as seen when wrapping it with IO.inspect()) and the docs have it in the error handler as well.

My Oban task:

defmodule MyApp.SendEmailAsync do
  use Oban.Worker, queue: :email, max_attempts: 1

  require Logger

  def perform(%{"param1" => param1}, _job) do
    Logger.info("the task is running!")
    raise "something went wrong"
  end

  def timeout(_job), do: :timer.seconds(60)
end

application.ex:

defmodule MyApp.Application do

  use Application
  
  def start(_type, _args) do

    ...

    :ok = Oban.Telemetry.attach_default_logger()

    ...

end

After running the server and executing the task, here’s what I see in logs:

[info] {"args":{"param1":"test"},"event":"started","queue":"email","source":"oban","start_time":1593026760599233,"worker":"MyApp.SendEmailAsync"}
[info] the task is running!
[info] {"args":{"param1":"test"},"duration":45834,"event":"failure","queue":"email","source":"oban","worker":"MyApp.SendEmailAsync"}

Output from the oban_jobs table:

 17 | discarded | email | MyApp.SendEmailAsync | {"param1": "test} | {"{\"at\": \"2020-06-24T19:26:00.602926Z\", \"error\": \"** (RuntimeError) something went wrong\\n    (my_app 0.2.0) lib/my_app/queues/email_sender.ex:20: MyApp.SendEmailAsync.perform/2\\n    (oban 1.2.0) lib/oban/queue/executor.ex:46: Oban.Queue.Executor.perform_inline/2\\n    (elixir 1.10.2) lib/task/supervised.ex:90: Task.Supervised.invoke_mfa/2\\n    (elixir 1.10.2) lib/task/supervised.ex:35: Task.Supervised.reply/5\\n    (stdlib 3.11) proc_lib.erl:249: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3\\n\", \"attempt\": 1}"}                                                                |       1 |            1 | 2020-06-24 19:26:00.586236 | 2020-06-24 19:26:00.586236 | 2020-06-24 19:26:00.592488 | 2020-06-24 19:26:00.602913 | {JonsMacbookPro,email,jjvmltj4} |              |        0 | {}

It’s clear that the Telemetry logging is working as expected, the task runs, and that it hits the exception.

However, my ErrorReporter handle_event/4 functions were never called (I don’t see meta in logs, nor did the Honeybadger error get reported).

I might be missing something pretty simple. Any help appreciated!

Showing Posts 1 to 5

jeroenvisser101

jeroenvisser101

Hey @jonbo, you might be using an older version. The README is for the unreleased v2.0.0-rc, you can see the implementation of the error telemetry event for v1.2 here:

https://github.com/sorentwo/oban/blob/v1.2.0/lib/oban/queue/executor.ex#L109

The documentation for the stable version can be found here: Oban — Oban v2.23.0

Hope that helps.

jonbo

jonbo OP

That was it, many thanks @jeroenvisser101!

For the record, I attached the logger with:

:telemetry.attach_many(
  "oban-errors",
  [[:oban, :failure]],
  &Carriage.ErrorReporter.handle_event/4,
  nil
)

And the handler:

  def handle_event([:oban, :failure], measure, meta, _) do
    context =
      meta
      |> Map.take([:id, :args, :queue, :worker])
      |> Map.merge(measure)

    IO.inspect(meta, lablel: "meta")
    Logger.info("handling Oban exception")
    Honeybadger.notify(meta.error, context, meta.stack)
  end
sorentwo

sorentwo

Oban Core Team

Thanks for solving this one @jeroenvisser101! This mismatch between the readme and the released version has been a persistent issue.

jeroenvisser101

jeroenvisser101

Not sure if it would help, but maybe adding a guides folder (like phoenix and others) and having the README just link to hexdocs would help?

sorentwo

sorentwo

Oban Core Team

That’s the long term solution we’re aiming for. There is a guides folder and docs are moving over bit by bit.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews