dvic

dvic

Is there a known issue with :observer with Elixir 1.15 that I’m unaware of? I’ve added :observer to :extra_applications but it gives this error:

iex(1)> :observer.start
** (UndefinedFunctionError) function :wx_object.start/3 is undefined (module :wx_object is not available)
    :wx_object.start(:observer_wx, [], [])
    (observer 2.15.1) observer_wx.erl:70: :observer_wx.start/0
    iex:1: (file)

If I start just iex (as opposed to iex -S mix), it works just fine. Is there something else I must add to the mix config?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

:observer is a module in the :runtime_tools application. You’d need to add the latter.

kotolex_23

kotolex_23

works for me

extra_applications: [:logger, :wx, :observer, :runtime_tools]
dvic

dvic OP

Thanks! I had :runtime_tools but missed :wx, it works!

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

If you don’t want to modify your application you could also run this in IEx:

Mix.ensure_application!(:wx)
Mix.ensure_application!(:runtime_tools)
Mix.ensure_application!(:observer)
:observer.start()
23
Post #4
josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

I can confirm that, from Erlang/OTP 27, only:

Mix.ensure_application!(:observer)
:observer.start()

is required.

24
Post #5
harrisi

harrisi

This does seem to work, but it’s still necessary to include both :wx and :observer in :extra_applications. Is this intended?

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

I did some tests locally and that did not seem to be required, only Mix.ensure_application!(:observer); :observer.start() from Erlang/OTP 27.

harrisi

harrisi

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear. What I mean is that the following works:

$ mix new foo && cd foo
$ iex -S mix
iex> Mix.ensure_application!(:observer); :observer.start()

But this doesn’t:

$ mix new foo && cd foo
$ vim mix.exs # or whatever
# add :observer to :extra_applications list in application/0
$ iex -S mix
iex> :observer.start()

I thought both should work, and the docs for Mix.ensure_application!/1 sort of imply they’re typically functionally equivalent.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

You need to add :wx to extra applications because it is an optional dependency of :observer. The ensure_application! also considers optional dependencies.

ppicom

ppicom

Hi there! :wave:

I might misunderstood what you said there, but despite running Erlang/OTP 27 and Elixir 1.17 it still seems that :observer is not enough:

iex -S mix
iex(1)> Mix.ensure_application!(:observer)
:ok
iex(2)> :observer.start()
** (UndefinedFunctionError) function :wx_object.start/3 is undefined (module :wx_object is not available)
    :wx_object.start(:observer_wx, [], [])
    (observer 2.16) observer_wx.erl:71: :observer_wx.start/0
    iex:2: (file)

From what I understand from this:

Is that Mix.ensure_application!(:observer) should be failing due to :wx not being there. Is that correct?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews