WestKeys

WestKeys

:observer’s color scheme was off for Dark Mode on Big Sur, so I googled and followed the steps here to fix it.

Afterwards when running iex I started getting:

>iex /usr/local/Cellar/elixir/1.11.3/bin/elixir: line 230: exec: erl: not found

I then ran brew reinstall elixir

Running iex now worked, however :observer.start() didn’t.

Any ideas?

>iex
Erlang/OTP 23 [erts-11.1.6] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [ds:4:4:10] [async-threads:1] [hipe] [dtrace]

Interactive Elixir (1.11.3) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(1)> :observer.start()

18:44:04.539 [error] WX Failed loading 'wxe_driver'@'/usr/local/Cellar/erlang/23.2.2/lib/erlang/lib/wx-1.9.2/priv'

{:error,
 {{:load_driver,
   'dlopen(/usr/local/Cellar/erlang/23.2.2/lib/erlang/lib/wx-1.9.2/priv/wxe_driver.so, 2): Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/wxmac/lib/libwx_osx_cocoau_stc-3.0.dylib\n  Referenced from: /usr/local/Cellar/erlang/23.2.2/lib/erlang/lib/wx-1.9.2/priv/wxe_driver.so\n  Reason: image not found'},
  [
    {:wxe_server, :start, 1, [file: 'wxe_server.erl', line: 65]},
    {:wx, :new, 1, [file: 'wx.erl', line: 115]},
    {:observer_wx, :init, 1, [file: 'observer_wx.erl', line: 107]},
    {:wx_object, :init_it, 6, [file: 'wx_object.erl', line: 404]},
    {:proc_lib, :init_p_do_apply, 3, [file: 'proc_lib.erl', line: 226]}
  ]}}

Showing Posts 1 to 4

WestKeys

WestKeys OP

Discovered asdf while troubleshooting. Reinstalled erlang, elixir using asdf and it seems to be working now.

xinz

xinz

I have the same issue with Erlang/23.3.2, Elixir 1.11.4 on macOS BigSur 11.2.3, since wxWidgets fixed this macOS issue within 3.1.* but the available version from https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/wxmac is 3.0.5.1 , we have to manually modify local wxmac.rb file to use with the current latest version 3.1.5 of wxWidgets, here are my steps to resolve this issue, hope it can be useful for your reference.

1, run brew edit wxmac after changed as below:

index 60dd92c233..c94feb8e9c 100644
--- a/Formula/wxmac.rb
+++ b/Formula/wxmac.rb
@@ -1,10 +1,9 @@
 class Wxmac < Formula
   desc "Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (wxWidgets for macOS)"
   homepage "https://www.wxwidgets.org"
-  url "https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/releases/download/v3.0.5.1/wxWidgets-3.0.5.1.tar.bz2"
-  sha256 "440f6e73cf5afb2cbf9af10cec8da6cdd3d3998d527598a53db87099524ac807"
+  url "https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/releases/download/v3.1.5/wxWidgets-3.1.5.tar.bz2"
+  sha256 "d7b3666de33aa5c10ea41bb9405c40326e1aeb74ee725bb88f90f1d50270a224"
   license "wxWindows"
-  revision 1
   head "https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets.git"

   livecheck do
@@ -31,6 +30,7 @@ class Wxmac < Formula
   def install
     args = [
       "--prefix=#{prefix}",
+      "--enable-compat28",
       "--enable-clipboard",
       "--enable-controls",
       "--enable-dataviewctrl",
@@ -40,7 +40,7 @@ class Wxmac < Formula
       "--enable-std_string",
       "--enable-svg",
       "--enable-unicode",
-      "--enable-webkit",
+      #"--enable-webkit",
       "--enable-webview",
       "--with-expat",
       "--with-libjpeg",

2, run brew upgrade wxmac --build-from-source to upgrade

3, you may need to reinstall Erlang/Elixir via brew.

4, Make sure the completed Xcode tool installed.

After the above operations, I can run :observer.start() in mix shell now.

xinz

xinz

FYI, upgrade to erlang/otp 24.

After remove wxmac and reinstall it via:

brew install wxmac --build-from-source,

it will also reinstall erlang@24 as a dependance, here are outputs:

➜  opt brew install wxmac --build-from-source
==> Downloading https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/releases/download/v3.1.5/wxWidgets-3.1.5.tar.bz2
Already downloaded: /Users/xinz/Library/Caches/Homebrew/downloads/e710ca0c81f73106f235183a47ded957ebdaaea78b907e0bc30bfa1818b7b4ba--wxWidgets-3.1.5.tar.bz2
==> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/wxmac/3.1.5 --enable-compat28 --enable-clipboard --enable-controls --enable-dataviewctrl --enable-display --enable-dnd --enable-graphics_ctx -
==> make install
🍺  /usr/local/Cellar/wxmac/3.1.5: 827 files, 24.9MB, built in 3 minutes 48 seconds
Removing: /Users/xinz/Library/Caches/Homebrew/wxmac--3.0.5.1_1... (17.7MB)
==> No outdated dependents to upgrade!
==> Checking for dependents of upgraded formulae...
==> Reinstalling 1 broken dependent from source:
erlang
==> Downloading https://www.erlang.org/download/otp_doc_html_24.0.tar.gz
Already downloaded: /Users/xinz/Library/Caches/Homebrew/downloads/a774f4bf5144fbeefd4c3cd4266aac993a05385bcd9481186c21c1a7e8dd4656--otp_doc_html_24.0.tar.gz
==> Downloading https://github.com/erlang/otp/releases/download/OTP-24.0/otp_src_24.0.tar.gz
Already downloaded: /Users/xinz/Library/Caches/Homebrew/downloads/0fc28fdc3874040568c7cc887b496b65109863d413557394db44cc4e4befef4f--otp_src_24.0.tar.gz
==> Reinstalling erlang
==> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/erlang/24.0 --enable-dynamic-ssl-lib --enable-hipe --enable-shared-zlib --enable-smp-support --enable-threads --enable-wx --with-ssl=/usr/loca
==> make
==> make install
==> make docs DOC_TARGETS=chunks
==> make install-docs
==> Caveats
Man pages can be found in:
  /usr/local/opt/erlang/lib/erlang/man

Access them with `erl -man`, or add this directory to MANPATH.
==> Summary
🍺  /usr/local/Cellar/erlang/24.0: 7,618 files, 483.3MB, built in 6 minutes 27 seconds
==> Caveats
==> erlang
Man pages can be found in:
  /usr/local/opt/erlang/lib/erlang/man

Access them with `erl -man`, or add this directory to MANPATH.
➜  opt

It works for me to upgrade to erlang@24 by use brew.

xinz

xinz

FYI,

About 2 days ago, brew formula wxmac renamed as wxwidgets and upgrade to use wxWidgets-3.1.5, if you had manually edited the wxmac.rb refer the above mentioned in your local path /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula, please remember to revert the changes in that folder, and then use brew to update and upgrade erlang will keep the :observer works well.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews