_rubenfa
It’s something weird, but from last week :observer.start is not working in my machine. This is the error that I’m receiving:
Erlang/OTP 20 [RELEASE CANDIDATE 2] [erts-9.0] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [ds:4:4:10] [async-threads:10] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]
Interactive Elixir (1.4.4) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(1)> :observer.start
21:52:25.399 [error] WX Failed loading 'wxe_driver'@'/usr/lib/erlang/lib/wx-1.8.1/priv'
{:error,
{{:load_driver,
'symbol _ZThn704_N17wxGenericListCtrl31GetSizeAvailableForScrollTargetERK6wxSize, version WXU_3.0 not defined in file libwx_gtk2u_core-3.0.so.0 with link time reference'},
[{:wxe_server, :start, 1, [file: 'wxe_server.erl', line: 65]},
{:wx, :new, 1, [file: 'wx.erl', line: 115]},
{:observer_wx, :init, 1, [file: 'observer_wx.erl', line: 98]},
{:wx_object, :init_it, 6, [file: 'wx_object.erl', line: 372]},
{:proc_lib, :init_p_do_apply, 3, [file: 'proc_lib.erl', line: 247]}]}}
I have tried to remove Erlang/Elixir and install it again, but without results. Indeed there are some weird things. For example, Erlang Solutions repository is installing a RC Version of esl-erlang and I don’t know why.
Any help, will be appreciated
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Qqwy
I have faced the same problem.
It turns out that there are different releases of Erlang, and both the one that comes standard with Canonical’s package repository as well as the one that
asdfprovides are missing certain natively-compiled modules, including the ones that are required to runWX(the GUI toolkit that:observeruses).The
esl-erlangversion contains (many of?) these optional parts. Installing Erlang fromesl-erlangafter adding the PPA of Erlang Solutions (see this page) solved it for me.Qqwy
For posterity: The maintainer of
asdf-erlangreplied to the issue I made on that source repository. It turns out that you can install the required files for WX manually, and if you do that before installing erlang through ASDF, then everything will work as intended._rubenfa
It’s not working for me. I’m not using ASDF but if I run
xw-config --versionit seems to be already installed (it says I have 3.0.2 version). My Erlang version isesl-erlangtoo, but:observer.startthrows the error of my first message.Thanks for your help.
OvermindDL1
You do have a windowing system and all for it to use? You installed Erlang with the Wx components after the windowing system was installed?
_rubenfa
Yes, I’m using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with Gnome. The strange thin is that
:observerwas working fine two weeks ago. I don’t know what is broken now.I have installed
elixirand all his dependencies, withesl-erlang. I’m sure I’m forgetting something, but I don’t know what.Thanks for your help.
Best regards.
Ankhers
If you start an Erlang shell, are you able to open observer?
_rubenfa
Nop. I doesn’t work. But no error message is displayed. Nothing happens.
Regards.
l00ker
This happened to me as well. I also had trouble with Tesla (using hackney) making api requests. The Erlang Solutions repo is now installing esl-erlang 1:20.0-rc2.
Once I rolled back to esl-erlang 1:19.3 Tesla & :observer started working again. You’ll need to pin the package in apt to prevent updating.
For what little time I had it running 20.0-rc2 did seem to feel a little faster.
_rubenfa
Many thanks, @l00ker that worked for me too. Curiously I have installed 1.9.3.6 at first, but it doesn’t work either. After that, I have downgraded the package one more time, to version 1.9.3, and now it’s working.
Thanks to everyone for your help.
GregFreeman
Has anyone else been able to resolve this problem with OTP 20/Elixir 1.5?
I get the identical error, with the same version numbers for wx-1.8.1 and “version WXU_3.0 not defined in file…” on Linux Mint 18.