Joshua-at-bitcrowd
Hey,
so I had this situation:
defmodule HelloWeb.Foo do
use HelloWeb, :live_view
use HelloWeb.Bar
on_mount(__MODULE__)
def on_mount(:default, _params, _session, socket) do
dbg("on_mount Foo")
{:cont, socket}
end
end
defmodule HelloWeb.Bar do
defmacro __using__(_) do
quote do
on_mount(HelloWeb.Bar)
end
end
def on_mount(:default, _params, _session, socket) do
dbg("on_mount Bar")
{:cont, socket}
end
end
Giving me the debug output:
[lib/hello_web/live/bar.ex:9: HelloWeb.Bar.on_mount/4]
"on_mount Bar" #=> "on_mount Bar"
[lib/hello_web/live/foo.ex:8: HelloWeb.Foo.on_mount/4]
"on_mount Foo" #=> "on_mount Foo"
But I would like the on_mount in Bar to be called last, so I modified it like this:
defmodule HelloWeb.Bar do
defmacro __using__(_) do
quote do
@before_compile(HelloWeb.Bar)
end
end
defmacro __before_compile__(_env) do
quote do
on_mount(HelloWeb.Bar)
end
end
def on_mount(:default, _params, _session, socket) do
dbg("on_mount Bar")
{:cont, socket}
end
end
With the debug output:
[(hello 0.1.0) lib/hello_web/live/foo.ex:8: HelloWeb.Foo.on_mount/4]
"on_mount Foo" #=> "on_mount Foo"
Raising my question:
Why is Bar.on_mount not called?
I’m aware that I could:
- switch places of
use HelloWeb.Barandon_mount(__MODULE__) - call
on_mount(HelloWeb.Bar)fromFooafteron_mount(__MODULE__) - use the
mountcallback inHelloWeb.Bar.__using__, which is called after all theon_mountcalls.
All have there own drawbacks.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










