BLacika

BLacika

Hi there!
I have an input field with number type in a form. Behind this field is a schema field with float type.
When the value of this field change, it will run the phx-change of the form.

<.input field={{line, :quantity}} type="number" label="Quantity" step="0.01" />

When i enter only a number (e.g. 1), it throws an error:

[error] GenServer #PID<0.635.0> terminating
** (ArgumentError) errors were found at the given arguments:

  * 1st argument: not a textual representation of a float

    :erlang.binary_to_float("1")

I don’t think the phx-debounce is the solution to this.
How do you avoid this error? Thank you :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 4

03juan

03juan

What’s the reason for using :erlang.binary_to_float/1 instead of Float.parse/1?

iex> :erlang.binary_to_float("1")
** (ArgumentError) errors were found at the given arguments:

  * 1st argument: not a textual representation of a float

    :erlang.binary_to_float("1")
    iex:2: (file)
iex> {num, _} = Float.parse("1")
{1.0, ""}
iex> num
1.0
iex> {num, _} = Float.parse("1.")
{1.0, "."}
03juan

03juan

You can match the result in a with or case block and only modify the socket on success.

def handle_event("change", %{"quantity" => quantity}, socket) do
  socket =
    case Float.parse(quantity) do
      {float, _remainder_of_binary} -> assign(socket, :quantity, float)
      :error -> socket
    end

  {:noreply, socket}
end
BLacika

BLacika OP

Hey! Sorry for replying so late. Thank you, this worked well. I don’t know why, but for some reason i used String.to_float/1. :slight_smile:

03juan

03juan

No worries, I’ve made the same mistake before. I was just going off the error message but see now that String.to_float/1 inlines the :erlang function.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews