dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Hey all,
I am looking for a way to encode and then encrypt a payload that will later be passed to a webhook in the web app.

We’re talking something like “put these two options in your config/config.exs and then call these two functions”.

What’s a very quick and low-friction way to encrypt a binary (and subsequently decrypt it)? I am not looking for the best security here; I am looking for something to discourage a potential attacker that might be able to sniff an HTTP request with an encoded parameter in it.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

hauptbenutzer

hauptbenutzer

Hi! I see two scenarios (sorry if I’m misreading your post):

  1. You do not care about the encoded information being read but just want to make sure it was not tempered with. In this case signing might be sufficient and you can use Phoenix.Token — Phoenix v1.8.8 or similar which is low-friciton if you’re already using phoenix.
  2. If you want the encoded data to be safe from prying eyes use something like GitHub - danielberkompas/cloak: Elixir encryption library designed for Ecto · GitHub which implements best practices around erlang crypto so you don’t need to worry about the details (like IVs). This is very close to "put these two options in your config/config.exs and then call these two functions”
dimitarvp

dimitarvp OP

I was hoping for something without an external dependency. Basically a way to call :crypto which is a bit confusing to me.

BTW I want the data secret. I assume encrypting it well also prevents tampering.

But if I can’t do that I’ll definitely use Cloak.

hauptbenutzer

hauptbenutzer

Well you can certainly choose to use :crypto directly but you’ll have to take care of IVs and padding yourself. We ended up doing something like this (note that this has a hardcoded IV size of 16):

defmodule CryptoOneTime do
  require Logger 
  
  def encrypt_binary(data) when is_binary(data) do
    initialization_vector = :crypto.strong_rand_bytes(16)
    plaintext = pad(data, 16)
    encrypted_text = :crypto.crypto_one_time(:aes_128_cbc, secret_key(), initialization_vector, plaintext, true)

    :base64.encode(initialization_vector <> encrypted_text)
  end

  def decrypt_binary(ciphertext) when is_binary(ciphertext) do
    <<initialization_vector::binary-16, ciphertext::binary>> = Base.decode64!(ciphertext)

    plaintext =
      :aes_128_cbc
      |> :crypto.crypto_one_time(secret_key(), initialization_vector, ciphertext, false)
      |> unpad()

    {:ok, plaintext}
  rescue
    error in ArgumentError ->
      Logger.error(Exception.format(:error, error, __STACKTRACE__))
      :error
  end

  def decrypt_binary(_non_binary_value), do: :error

  defp secret_key do
    # this needs to be 128 bits of class-a randomness
  end

  defp unpad(data) do
    :binary.part(data, 0, byte_size(data) - :binary.last(data))
  end

  defp pad(data, block_size) do
    padding = block_size - rem(byte_size(data), block_size)
    data <> :binary.copy(<<padding>>, padding)
  end
end
derek-zhou

derek-zhou

The best way to keep something secret is not to transmit it, encrypted or not. I would put said payload in a database, get the sequence id and just send the id with hashids

This way you send a very short string regardless how large is the payload.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp OP

That’s what I want to do. Everything is in the DB, I just want the ID sent back securely. How secure is hashids though?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp OP

That looks good. I assume I’ll have to store the IV in config/config.exs and not only the secret key?

hauptbenutzer

hauptbenutzer

The IV is computed for every encrypt so that encrypting the same payload twice yields different results (similar idea as a salt). It’s prepended to the encrypted payload, so that it can be read and used for decryption. So you only need to keep the secret key in your config.exs (or runtime.exs more likely :slight_smile:)

dimitarvp

dimitarvp OP

Thank you. Let me try it and I’ll comment back!

I just keep forgetting those encryption primitives, hence my question here. :smiley:

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

Hashid is not very secure. to add extra protection on tempering, you can append a sha3 hash.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp OP

I see. But this seems to become a homegrown cryptography solution, which is something I want to avoid.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews