Grocery

Grocery

I’m on my day 3 trying to provision server on DO and I got to the point where I can build and deploy via edeliver/distillery. However I’m running into issue where app crashes with an error like this:

(UndefinedFunctionError) function Guardian.Plug.VerifySession.call/2 is undefined

So I figured guardian app doesn’t get included in the release somehow?

EDIT: I just realised that Guardian is not in the list of the applications anyways. So I have no idea what’s going on. Why Guardian is not present in prod environment?

When I build locally I see this (I can’t see any warnings when doing mix edeliver build release):

==> One or more direct or transitive dependencies are missing from
    :applications or :included_applications, they will not be included
    in the release:

    :arc
    :breadcrumble
    :earmark
    :elixir_make
    :guardian
    :html_sanitize_ex
    :kerosene
    :mochiweb
    :phoenix_haml

    This can cause your application to fail at runtime. If you are sure
    that this is not an issue, you may ignore this warning.

My mix.exs has this defined (and everything works in dev just fine):

def application do
    [mod: {LoadedBike, []},
     applications: [:phoenix, :phoenix_pubsub, :phoenix_html, :cowboy, :logger, :gettext,
                    :phoenix_ecto, :postgrex, :comeonin, :arc_ecto, :edeliver]]
  end

rel/config.exs has this:

release :loaded_bike do
  set version: current_version(:loaded_bike)
end

I poked around and found that you can add set :applications [...] in there. But why? Shouldn’t it be implicit? Or do I really have to copy-paste things? What am I missing?

I’m really close. It’s just this problem and then I’ll have to deal with assets. If somebody can share /.deliver/config for Phoenix 1.3 I’d appreciate it. I think biggest difference is that there’s /assets folder now.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

NobbZ

NobbZ

You posted a warning which tells you missing applications. Have you tried adding them?

Grocery

Grocery OP

Yeah, ended up cramming everything into that applications array. Seems to be working. Now onto assets.

DeLongShot

DeLongShot

FYI, for anyone who finds this later, if you are using Elixir >= 1.4, you do not need to list your dependencies under the applications key anymore in mix.exs.

Leaving the applications key blank, mix will automatically infer your applications from your dependencies. See more details in 1.4 release notes: Elixir v1.4 released - The Elixir programming language

mindreader

mindreader

For anyone who finds this even later, some dependencies just are not caught during release. I’m not sure what causes it but I’m guessing the way they are used in our codebase just causes mix to not detect that they are used, so in release mode it strips them out.

You never have to specify applications, but in cases where the lib is definitely missing you can put it in your extra_applications key in mix.exs.

def application do [extra_applications: [:logger, :sweet_xml]]
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews