acrolink

acrolink

I want to develop a one to one video chat functionality between a) An Android based Smart TV or TV Box and b) Either a web application or an Android application (on smartphones).

My questions:

A) Is it possible to achieve this using direct communication between the two endpoints or is it a must to use a specialized cloud service like Agora (use their SDK and infrastructure)?

B) Is it a must to set up a server in between the two clients. If so, what are the functions this server would do? Is it a must to stream the video to the in between server which in turn serves it to the other endpoint?

C) Is it possible to stream the video using Phoenix channels?

D) Any experiences, real life examples?

In any case, I prefer a solution which does not involve any 3rd party providers or additional server setups.

Your ideas are invaluable.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

idi527

idi527

:waving_hand:

A) Yes, check out webrtc. Some smart tvs might support it.

B) If webrtc is not supported, or the smart tvs can’t setup a direct connection, a server would act as a relay for the media packets.

C) It is possible, but since it’s tcp, and media is preferably streamed over udp, it would be a bad choice.

acrolink

acrolink OP

I have set up a TURN server and followed the guide here:

https://github.com/webrtc/apprtc

It took some effort but it’s indeed WORKING !!

I am not sure I will be using my own TURN server, there are plenty of established platforms to make video calls but I learned new things :slight_smile: Learning is good as always.

Thanks @idi527, that was valuable.

idi527

idi527

Network Traversal Service | Twilio might be interesting for you.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews