juanseph

juanseph

I have been doing functional for a while already, but there’s some OOP pattern that I still like and can’t find the right approach to it

This pattern is a hierarchy of objects, a set of handlers (per object type) and a factory to instantiate the right handler based on caracteristics of the object.

I was wondering if someone has a nice and elegant implementation of this whole thing (behaviors with something else maybe?). I guess with pattern matching it can be cool

Some OOP example

Msg1 extends Msg extends Dao
Msg2 extends Msg extends Dao

Abstract MsgDispatcher
Abstract send(Msg m)

DispatcherOne extend MsgDispatcher
send(Msg m): ...

DispatcherTwo extend MsgDispatcher
send(Msg m): ...

Factory.getDispatcher(Msg1).send(Msg1) will invoke the method in DispatcherOne

Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 5

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

No inheritance, rather composition.

That’s a good fit for Protocol.

Pattern matching? Multi clause functions should do the job, maybe.

ityonemo

ityonemo

the official way to do this is with behaviours protocols, and a liberal use of defdelegate.

If you don’t want to do it with protocols directly, you can also use a protocol-lite:

defmodule Api do
  @callback foo(struct) :: integer
  @callback bar(struct) :: integer 
end

defmodule Msg1 do 
  defstruct [... fields ...]

  @behaviour Api

  def foo(struct), do: ...
  def bar(struct), do: ...
end

defmodule Msg2 do
  # demonstrates oop-style multiple-dispatch
  defstruct [... fields ...]

  @behaviour Api

  def foo(struct), do: ...
  def bar(struct), do: ...
end

defmodule Msg3 do
  # demonstrates OOP-style inheritance
  defstruct [... fields ...]
  
  @behaviour Api

  # note that the fields in Msg3 type must be compatible with the Msg1 and Msg2
  # function expectations of the field parameters, or else you will have a bad time.
  defdelegate foo(struct), to: Msg1
  defdelegate bar(struct), to: Msg2
end

defmodule Action do
  def adds_foo_and_bar(msg = %msg_type{}) do
    msg_type.foo(msg) + msg_type.bar(msg)
  end
end

# these statements dispatch against their respective module's foo and bar statements
Action.adds_foo_and_bar(%Msg1{...})
Action.adds_foo_and_bar(%Msg2{...})
Action.adds_foo_and_bar(%Msg3{...})

Note that making sure that the structs have compatible fields you need is your responsibility, if you want you can probably whip up some compile time macros to check that the structs are compliant**. And the “inheritance” of your functional components is also very much explicit, there’s no “inherit” that makes your code consumer guess what gets inherited and what doesn’t.

** hints: A module with defstruct implements the __struct__/0 function and at compile time you can retrieve the module’s struct-being built with Module.get_attribute(__MODULE__, :struct)

Anyways this kind of stuff is a little bit on the hard side because maybe this sort of abstraction is not necessarily the best thing to do. I’m still not sure if it’s a good pattern from OOP or an antipattern.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Everything you showed is achievable in many FP languages. You’ll have to specify what you cannot do in particular because I don’t see such a thing.

juanseph

juanseph OP

Thanks this is actually even too much OOP :smiley

juanseph

juanseph OP

I am not sure, I think I look for an elegant way to maintain the factory, like in a little programatic dependency injection

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews