restlessronin

restlessronin

The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub.

Docs are at OpenaiEx User Guide — openai_ex v0.9.21.

Changelog

The main user guide is a livebook, so you should be able to run everything without any setup. The user guide is also the test suite. It is run before every version release, so it is always up to date with the library.

Portions of this project were developed with assistance from ChatGPT 3.5 and 4, as well as Claude 3 Opus and Claude 3.5 Sonnet. However, every line of code is human curated (by me :innocent:).

All API endpoints and features (as of Mar 16, 2025) are supported, including the most recent Responses API (proposed replacement for Chat Completion).

Configuration of Finch pools and API base url are supported.

There are some differences compared to other elixir openai wrappers.

  • I tried to faithfully mirror the naming/structure of the official python api. For example, content that is already in memory can be uploaded as part of a request, it doesn’t have to be read from a file at a local path.

  • I was developing for a livebook use-case, so I don’t have any config, only environment variables.

  • Streaming API versions, with request cancellation, are supported.

  • The underlying transport is finch, rather than httpoison

  • 3rd Party (including local) LLMs with an OpenAI proxy, as well as the Azure OpenAI API, are considered legitimate use cases.

Documentation is still a work in progress. In addition to the user guide, there are also Livebook examples for

The library is developed in a livebook docker image running in a VS code dev container.

Please try it out and let me know what you think. Happy to receive suggestions (and PRs) for improvement, as well as illustrative sample notebooks.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

FYI, as of 3 days ago, I’ve been using it with some light experiments xD

restlessronin

restlessronin OP

Wonderful. You must have found it almost at the same time I first published the package :slight_smile: Lots of improvements / changes in the past few days (including switching from Req to Tesla)

Hope you’re finding it useful. Let me know if you have any comments / suggestions.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Would you give us the rationale as to why? I am interested to read it.

restlessronin

restlessronin OP

No deep reason. I liked the Req design a little better, but it doesn’t support multi part form uploads. Tesla does. And some of the API endpoints require it.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Well, that’s a pretty good reason though. Thanks.

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

FYR, there’s a stand-alone multipart building library that can be used with HTTP clients that don’t have it built in, at least one, I think I used a different one back in the day but can’t find it now:

https://github.com/breakroom/multipart

restlessronin

restlessronin OP

Thanks @hubertlepicki. It’s good to know, in case there’s a future use-case where people want to plug in a specific client.

restlessronin

restlessronin OP

I’ve released v0.1.3 with refinements to the Audio API and included an Audio example in the user guide.

darwin67

darwin67

Would be nice to have additional helpers like LangChain!

Happy to help out if you considering working on it!

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

Yep, and the end result may be better than LangChain as Elixir has great building blocks to things like that.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
kip
Following on from my CLDR lbraries I started work on Unicode transforms. But like everything related to CLDR there is a lot of yak-shavin...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews