NAR

NAR

I’m getting to know OpenApiSpex. I try to create a function on a REST API with two parameters and I’d like to pass the parameters in the body of the POST requests (I think this is how this stuff is usually used). So far I’ve came up with this:

  def login_operation() do
    %Operation{
      tags: ["users"],
      summary: "Logs in the user",
      description: "Log in the user",
      operationId: "LoginController.login",
      parameters: [
        Operation.parameter(:username, :path, :string, "User Name",
          example: "test",
          required: true
        ),
        Operation.parameter(:number, :path, :integer, "Some number",
          example: 12,
          required: true
        )
      ],
      responses: %{
        200 => Operation.response("User", "application/json", UserWeb.LoginResponse)
      }
    }
  end

My problem is that on the local Swagger UI (http://localhost:4000/swaggerui#/users/LoginController.login) if I press “Try it out”, then “execute”, the “username” and “number” are not added to the body. I tried to use “:query” for location (instead of “:path”), but in that case the parameters were included in the URI. How should I configure the parameters that the Swagger UI put them into the body?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

NAR

NAR OP

I only found a workaround: instead of using parameters in the Operation map, I created a whole new schema(?) and use that in the requestBody field of the Operation map. So I have this new module:

defmodule MerlinWeb.LoginParameter do
require OpenApiSpex

  OpenApiSpex.schema(%{
    title: "LoginParameter",
    description: "Input for login",
    type: :object,
    properties: %{
      username: %OpenApiSpex.Schema{type: :string, description: "name of the user"},
      some_number: %OpenApiSpex.Schema{type: :integer, description: "some number"}
    },
    required: [:username, :some_number],
    example: %{
        "username" => "some user",
        "some_number" => "12"
    }
  })
end

and in the above example instead of the parameters: part I have this:

      parameters: [],
      requestBody: Operation.request_body("Login params description", "application/json",
          MerlinWeb.LoginParameter,
          required: true),

It means that on the Swagger UI I don’t have a separate text field for all parameters anymore (username, number in the above examples), but one single text area for the JSON input. Doesn’t look that good, but works.

mbuhot

mbuhot

Your solution is correct. Swagger 3 separates the requestBody from the parameters, which allows for defining multiple schemas for different content types.

To get a better editing experience, some customisation of swagger-ui might be required. I found this comment which mentions using react-jsonschema-form to edit the json body.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews