nathanalderson

nathanalderson

I have the following OpenApiSpex schema which attempts to define a Message with some text and zero or more attachments:

  defmodule SendMessage do
    @max_message_size_bytes 100 * 1024
    @max_attachment_size_bytes 5 * 1024 * 1024

    OpenApiSpex.schema(%{
      title: "SendMessage",
      description: "A message to send",
      type: :object,
      required: [],
      properties: %{
        text: %Schema{
          type: :string,
          nullable: true,
          minLength: 1,
          maxLength: @max_message_size_bytes,
          description: "The text of the message"
        },
        attachments: %Schema{
          type: :array,
          items: %Schema{
            type: :string,
            format: :binary,
            minLength: 1,
            maxLength: @max_attachment_size_bytes,
            description: "The attachment (e.g. an image)"
          }
        }
      }
    })
  end

My controller function references this schema like this:

  @doc security: [%{"oauth" => []}],
       parameters: [
         id: [in: :path, schema: %OpenApiSpex.Schema{type: :string}, required: true]
       ],
       request_body: {"The message", "multipart/form-data", SendMessage, required: true},
       responses: [...],
       tags: [...]
  def send_message(conn, _) do
    ...
  end

The generate OpenAPI spec and the SwaggerUI both look correct. For example, here’s the SwaggerUI:

Unfortunately, though, whenever I try to submit a request I get a 422 Unprocessable Entity Error:

{
  "errors": [
    {
      "detail": "Invalid array. Got: object",
      "source": {
        "pointer": "/attachments"
      },
      "title": "Invalid value"
    }
  ]
}

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews