IwoHerka

IwoHerka

I’m trying to deploy Phoenix application with OpenTelemetry tracing in a Docker container. Dockerfile I was using so far (sucessfully) is a typical one (i.e. generated by mix phx.gen.release --docker). Following versions are used:

ARG ELIXIR_VERSION=1.15.4
ARG OTP_VERSION=26.0.2
ARG DEBIAN_VERSION=bullseye-20230612-slim

So, the image is hexpm/elixir:1.15.4-erlang-26.0.2-debian-bullseye-20230612-slim.
(I’m running the same versions locally for development, the only difference I’m working on Ubuntu 22.04 via WSL2.)

The problem is that then running this container, a following message is produced which indicates that OTLP exporter fails (with MIX_ENV=prod):

=WARNING REPORT==== 6-Sep-2023::20:15:42.868641 ===
OTLP exporter failed to initialize with exception error:{badmatch,
                                                          {error,
                                                           inets_not_started}}
=WARNING REPORT==== 6-Sep-2023::20:15:42.880076 ===
Failed to load OTP-trusted CAs: error:{badmatch,{error,enoent}}, falling back to hardcoded authorities

This doesn’t happen when running code in (both in dev and prod) locally, outside container.

My OTLP config is almost the same as in Getting Started | OpenTelemetry, namely:

mix.exs:

# (in this order):

{:opentelemetry_exporter, "~> 1.6"},
{:opentelemetry, "~> 1.3"},
{:opentelemetry_api, "~> 1.2"},
{:opentelemetry_phoenix, "~> 1.1"},
{:opentelemetry_cowboy, "~> 0.2"},
{:opentelemetry_ecto, "~> 1.1"},

# and:

defp releases() do
  [
    foo: [
      applications: [
        opentelemetry: :temporary,
        opentelemetry_exporter: :permanent
      ]
    ]
  ]
end

application.ex:

:opentelemetry_cowboy.setup()
OpentelemetryPhoenix.setup(adapter: :cowboy2)
OpentelemetryEcto.setup([:foo, :repo])

config/runtime.ex:

  otlp_protocol = System.get_env("OTEL_PROTOCOL") |> String.to_atom()
  otlp_endpoint = System.get_env("OTEL_ENDPOINT")

  config :opentelemetry,
    span_processor: :batch,
    traces_exporter: :otlp

  config :opentelemetry_exporter,
    otlp_protocol: otlp_protocol,
    otlp_endpoint: otlp_endpoint

  config :opentelemetry, :processors, [
    {:otel_simple_processor, %{}}
  ]

Does anyone have any idea why this problem occurs?

Edit:

I’ve figured out that the problem only occurs in a release, that’s why I only see it in a container, not when starting via mix phx.server or iex -S mix phx.server.

Edit 2:

When run with lower log level I also get:

[debug] OTLP exporter failed to initialize: exception error: no match of right hand side value {error,inets_not_started}
  in function  opentelemetry_exporter:start_httpc/1 (/home/poly/P/foo-api/deps/opentelemetry_exporter/src/opentelemetry_exporter.erl, line 239)
  in call from opentelemetry_exporter:init/1 (/home/poly/P/foo-api/deps/opentelemetry_exporter/src/opentelemetry_exporter.erl, line 210)
  in call from otel_exporter:init/1 (/home/poly/P/foo-api/deps/opentelemetry/src/otel_exporter.erl, line 44)
  in call from otel_batch_processor:init_exporter/2 (/home/poly/P/foo-api/deps/opentelemetry/src/otel_batch_processor.erl, line 317)
  in call from otel_batch_processor:idle/3 (/home/poly/P/foo-api/deps/opentelemetry/src/otel_batch_processor.erl, line 197)
  in call from gen_statem:loop_state_callback/11 (gen_statem.erl, line 1377)
  in call from proc_lib:init_p_do_apply/3 (proc_lib.erl, line 241)
[warning] OTLP exporter failed to initialize with exception :error:{:badmatch, {:error, :inets_not_started}}

Thanks!

Marked As Solved

IwoHerka

IwoHerka OP

It turned out that changing the order of opentelemetry and opentelemetry_exporter under releases in mix.exs fixes the issue:

foo: [
  applications: [
    opentelemetry_exporter: :permanent,
    opentelemetry: :temporary
  ]
]

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews