nightfury17200

nightfury17200

hello all, I want to operate on large amount of data where I pass a query to get some records and then for each record I have to perform a costly operation (creating large number of redis keys(~1000) for each record data and then deleting it) so here I want to use a stream to make the strain less. My code till now is-

      Repo.transaction(
        fn ->
          query
          |> Repo.stream(max_rows: @query_batch)
          |> Stream.chunk_every(@query_batch)
          |> Stream.each(fn x ->
             Enum.to_list(x) |> Enum.each(fn y -> delete_from_redis(y) end)
          end)
          |> Enum.to_list()
        end,
        timeout: :infinity
      )

here in this code when I tried to do -

Stream.each(x, fn y -> delete_from_redis(y) end)

in place of-

Enum.to_list(x) |> Enum.each(fn y -> delete_from_redis(y) end)

my code did not worked, please explain the reason for that also please tell me what can I do to make my current code more efficient?

Showing Posts 1 to 9

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

What was the error message?

nightfury17200

nightfury17200 OP

no error message the code just did nothing.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Re: your specific question:

Stream.each doesn’t run any computation, you have to call a function like Enum.to_list or Stream.run to make Stream do things.

A more general thought: this code returns all the rows from query which neutralizes a lot of the benefit from streaming; Stream.run will do the computation but ignore the result, if that’s your intent.

nightfury17200

nightfury17200 OP

I read about what stream.run do and what the documentation mentioned was-

Runs the given stream.

This is useful when a stream needs to be run, for side effects, and there is no interest in its return result.

to be honest I was not able to make any sense of it hence I tried using stream.each and thought it would be similar to enum.each and would call a function for each value. Can you please explain how stream.run works?

nightfury17200

nightfury17200 OP

I tried using stream.run assuming that it makes all the stream command inputted in it work. the code I tried is-

      Repo.transaction(
        fn ->
          query
          |> Repo.stream(max_rows: @query_batch)
          |> Stream.chunk_every(@query_batch)
          |> Stream.each(fn x ->
             Stream.each(x, fn y -> delete_from_redis(y) end)
          end)
          |> Stream.run()
        end,
        timeout: :infinity
      )

but it does not work. can you point out where I am making the mistake?

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Stream.each returns a new stream that calls the supplied function as each element is generated. It doesn’t iterate by itself.

Example:

iex(1)> a = [1,2,3]
[1, 2, 3]

iex(2)> stream = Stream.each(a, &IO.inspect/1)
#Stream<[enum: [1, 2, 3], funs: [#Function<38.58486609/1 in Stream.each/2>]]>

iex(3)> Stream.run(stream)
1
2
3
:ok

iex(4)> Enum.to_list(stream)
1
2
3
[1, 2, 3]

Note that in the second line, stream is bound as a Stream struct but nothing has been IO.inspect-ed yet.

Stream.run causes the stream to compute values but discards them and returns :ok, while Enum.to_list accumulates and returns the values.

nightfury17200

nightfury17200 OP

then shouldn’t the code above your reply run here I have added Stream.run. so first I will make chunks of data with Stream.chunk_every(@query_batch) and then pass it to Stream.each for going to each chunk and then for each chunk I will pass it to Stream.each so that I can iterate over the records and then call the required function for each record, and lastly all of this is passed to stream.run() to implement this. Sorry If my understanding is incorrect.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Your overall stream does, but you’re doing another Stream.each inside a Stream.each and that inner one isn’t doing anything:

          |> Stream.each(fn x ->
             Stream.each(x, fn y -> delete_from_redis(y) end)
          end)

The inner Stream.each should probably be an Enum.each since the x list is already loaded into memory, streaming here doesn’t accomplish anything.

nightfury17200

nightfury17200 OP

ok, understood. thanks

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews