1stSolo

1stSolo

Hello.

I have a Parent Absinthe & Ecto schemas and there’s an embedded child object associated to it (1:1, so the fully inflated object is basically a union of the underlying tables, but it’s not implemented literally that way become some parents may have several fields of Child type, e.g. left_child, 'right_child). I didn't want the Absinthe client to manipulate children directly, so we have a graphQL mutation such as updateParentthat takesparent_idanddataarguments, and withindatayou can provide fields ofParentobject as well as fields ofleft_childorright_child`, e.g.

mutation {
updateParent(id: , data: { name: “new name”, left_child: { diagram: “{ some: json }”, right_child: nil, lock_version: <current_parent_lock_version>}}) {
id, name, left_child {id, diagram}, right_child {id, diagram}
}

We have standard optimistic lock on parent and child:

  def changeset(parent, attrs \\ %{}) do
    parent
    |> cast(attrs, @cast_attrs)
    |> validate_required(@rqrd_attrs)
    |> update_children(attrs)
    |> optimistic_lock(:lock_version)
  end

Here’s the usecase I am having a problem with.

If my mutation arguments don’t contain any updates for the parent object the changset is empty and parent.lock_version won’t get incremented. Also, in order to perform updates on fields of Child type, they need to be preloaded:

parent = Repo.preload(parent, [:left_child, :right_child])

which loads their current lock_version values, so there would almost never be a failed optimistic lock because any update of child would have the most current lock_version.

How can I share the optimistic lock of parent with the children, so that if a child is updated the lock_version on the parent is incremented even if parent is not updated? I don’t want to expose children’s lock_version to the client - I want all updates to go through parent.

Semantically, it’s as if children were just fields on the parent, in which case it would work like normal optimistic lock on the parent, but it’s not desirable because children have lots of fields and I don’t want them on the parent table as columns. But this is basically an entity mapped into a union of tables, sometimes parent union-ed with dependent table more than once (as in case of left_child and right_child). I hope that makes sense…

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews