halfmetaljacket

halfmetaljacket

I’m facing a peculiar challenge with a socket server I’ve built using Elixir and Cowboy WebSocket (Cowboy WebSocket documentation). This server has been in production for a while, handling substantial traffic. It consumes messages from RabbitMQ, processes them, and publishes messages to clients based on their subscribed channels.

The issue arises with data-out costs. To tackle this, I enabled built-in compression in Cowboy. However, the problem is that messages are compressed separately for each client. For instance, if a message needs to be sent to 1000 clients, it gets compressed 1000 times, one for each client process. This approach has caused high CPU overhead and spiking latencies, especially during message bursts.

To address this, I’m considering an alternative:
Pre-compressing messages when they’re consumed from RabbitMQ and sending the pre-compressed messages directly to clients that support compression. For clients that don’t support compression, the original uncompressed message would be sent instead. The plan is to add relevant headers so that clients (mostly web browsers) can automatically decompress messages without requiring any changes on the frontend.

However, I’m unclear about how this approach interacts with WebSocket compression features like server_context_takeover, server_max_window_bits, etc. Since Cowboy optimizes compression by managing compression contexts across frames, how would this work when the messages are already pre-compressed?

Has anyone encountered a similar problem or implemented a solution for this? I assume this is a common challenge for socket servers serving public data.

Any insights, best practices, or ideas to optimize CPU and latency in this scenario would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: GoLang’s Gorrila Websocket has a functionality called PreparedMessage that will solve my issues. But plugging this functionality into the cowboy library is way beyond my skill. I can try to implement it when I have some free time.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

mpope

mpope

This does not answer the question of how to serve shared compressed values, but have you tried changing the deflate options to adjust compression settings?

https://github.com/ninenines/cowlib/blob/master/src/cow_ws.erl#L38

A more experimental option would be to create your own zlib context and emulate what Cowboy does but return the raw frame {binary, iodata()} from the websocket handler directly, where the payload is pulled by sequence number from a shared ETS cache.

halfmetaljacket

halfmetaljacket OP

I did a POC for this for, the compressed payload almost doubled after increasing just one level, which is fine with me. Yet to do a proper benchmark.

rjk

rjk

Given your problem I think you’re on the right track to pre-compress the payload you want to send. I would not use the deflate options of the websocket itself as this is always a 1:1 relation. I would assume there’s a single point in your app where you broadcast from the single rabbitmq message to multiple (websocket) receivers. That would be the place in your code to do the one-time compression and send it out to all the receivers as a binary frame.

I’ve made a lot of websocket implementations for high traffic websocket servers and a lot of them implemented compression of their payload but none of them used the built-in compression extension of websockets (rfc7692), they just send it out as binary frame and specify in their documentation which form of compression they have used. Another reason I would not opt for the built-in compression is that a client can always ignore it or express that it doesnt support compression (following the standard negotiation flow) and opt for the uncompressed stream and that would undo what you want.

Another thing which can also help you a lot with burst traffic is to implement some form of buffering and sending data out in “ticks”. In my implementation I sometimes had to handle 1000s of messages per second and then I would just buffer everything within 250ms of 1sec and compress and send it out once per that time interval. I was not able to give back pressure to my (external) upstream so this helped a lot with high traffic spikes and not fill up the mailboxes of the involved actors/processes.

HTH

(EDIT1: I just see that there’s way more context about your issue on reddit, link to that post: https://www.reddit.com/r/elixir/comments/1hn91p6/need_help_in_optimizing_websocket_compression/ )

EDIT2: super interesting post about what the compression levels do in reality: Configuring & Optimizing WebSocket Compression - igvita.com

rjk

rjk

Thought more about this, you can get the compress once behaviour out of the box with phoenix channels which uses something called fastlane within the serializers. (see this forum post explained by LostKobrakai How to scale Phoenix Pubsub event publishing? - #2 by LostKobrakai ). When you broadcast to a channel it will serialize once and reuse that for each listener. You could write a custom serializer which would compress the payload with msgpack or zstd (train a dictionary on a bunch of your data and use that on both sides which would compress way better on smaller payloads). An example of a custom serializer is something like this; (source: blog/binary_data_over_phoenix_sockets/web/transports/message_pack_serializer.ex at b164ae5e8fb4701ee40925aca9aef2297b80be95 · Kaizen-Gaming/blog · GitHub )

defmodule BinaryDataOverPhoenixSockets.Transports.MessagePackSerializer do
  @moduledoc false

  @behaviour Phoenix.Transports.Serializer

  alias Phoenix.Socket.Reply
  alias Phoenix.Socket.Message
  alias Phoenix.Socket.Broadcast

  # only gzip data above 1K
  @gzip_threshold 1024

  def fastlane!(%Broadcast{} = msg) do
    {:socket_push, :binary, pack_data(%{
      topic: msg.topic,
      event: msg.event,
      payload: msg.payload
    })}
  end

  def encode!(%Reply{} = reply) do
    packed = pack_data(%{
      topic: reply.topic,
      event: "phx_reply",
      ref: reply.ref,
      payload: %{status: reply.status, response: reply.payload}
    })
    {:socket_push, :binary, packed}
  end

  def encode!(%Message{} = msg) do
    # We need to convert the Message struct into a plain map for MessagePack to work properly.
    # Alternatively we could have implemented the Enumerable behaviour. Pick your poison :)
    {:socket_push, :binary, pack_data(Map.from_struct msg)}
  end

  # messages received from the clients are still in json format;
  # for our use case clients are mostly passive listeners and made no sense
  # to optimize incoming traffic
  def decode!(message, _opts) do
    message
    |> Poison.decode!()
    |> Phoenix.Socket.Message.from_map!()
  end

  defp pack_data(data) do
    msgpacked = MessagePack.pack!(data, enable_string: true)
    gzip_data(msgpacked, byte_size(msgpacked))
  end

  defp gzip_data(data, size) when size < @gzip_threshold, do: data
  defp gzip_data(data, _size), do: :zlib.gzip(data)
end

Maybe a completely different direction but giving you different options :smiley:

VictorGaiva

VictorGaiva

Your issue seems extremely related to what Discord went through, and blogged about a few months ago. Take a look How Discord Reduced Websocket Traffic by 40%

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews