mitkins

mitkins

I’m currently looking at backend options for storing session cache data for Pow. I have a single server running on Gigalixir and I’m trying to keep it that way (for now) to keep costs low.

Looking through the Pow documentation, you can setup Mnesia - which is awesome. But in the case of a single node, it requires persistent disk storage for the cache to survive a pod/docker container replacement.

In the case of Gigalixir, file storage is ephemeral - so that means I have the following options:

  1. Switch my deployment method to hot upgrades to prevent the container from being destroyed
  2. Add a second node - then the cache can propagate itself as nodes go down and come back up
  3. Implement the cache using Redis and find a 3rd party service

At this point, it looks like point 1) is the most cost effective solution.

Point 2) would take me out of the free tier and increase cost. Also, I’m not familiar with the mechanics of 1 node coming up and the next node going down. Is there enough time to copy the session cache - particularly if you only have 2 nodes? Does that mean I’d need 3 nodes at minimum?

I looked into point 3) with Google Memorystore - that introduces a cost of $35 per month. I’m not familiar with the cost of other services. A 3rd party solution may have other trade offs to consider - like network traffic costs (I’m currently in Google Cloud) and speed.

Is there anything else I should be thinking about?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

What kind of information are you trying to persist?

danschultzer

danschultzer

Pow Core Team

An alternative is to use the DB for cache store. The cache stores are built around key-value store with TTL so it’s not really the right tool for the job, but it’s worth looking into if your first option doesn’t work well enough.

The Redis store cache backend guide is short enough to give you a good idea how the cache should work: Redis cache store backend — Pow v1.0.39

I would probably set it up as a GenServer similar to the ETS cache: pow/lib/pow/store/backend/ets_cache.ex at v1.0.13 · pow-auth/pow · GitHub

Just remember to handle TTL so expired entries are cleared out. In the ETS and Mnesia cache stores invalidator callbacks are used, and if you want to do this you have to make sure that the invalidators are initiated again on restart (same as how the Mnesia cache handles it).

However, it’ll likely be easier if you just deal with it by using the relational structure in SQL, and add the namespace, key, value and expiration as individual columns. Maybe user id should be a column too. Then you can periodically flush the table for expired entries instead.

mitkins

mitkins OP

Hello!

It’s a user/session store. I haven’t looked into the data that Pow’s managing, but I’m assuming it stores the fields of the user table plus some meta data.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Is the point to avoid querying the database? Are you running into concrete performance issues or is caching this data speculative?

mitkins

mitkins OP

Oh no, performance isn’t a concern yet (I have 1 regular user!). The main issue I’m facing right now is that I don’t want users kicked off the website just because I push an update. Since Pow utilises a session cache, I’m just trying to find the best way to persist the cache (without incurring cost).

@danschultzer, awesome information (as usual). I might have a stab at implementing a db cache and see how it goes. In the interim, I’ll push out hot upgrades

danschultzer

danschultzer

Pow Core Team

It’s a nice advantage, but it’s mostly about ephemeral storage. Often the DB isn’t the right place for that.

Yeah, it usually consists of a randomly generated key and a map with user struct and some metadata. PowPersistentSession and PowResetPassword also uses the backend store.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Ephemeral storage of what? If it’s ephemeral, why does it need to be also persisted between reboots?

danschultzer

danschultzer

Pow Core Team

Because a session or reset token may have been created just before deploy/reboot.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

If it’s an actual cache then it doesn’t really matter, the canonical state is either the database or the user token (if doing something like JWT) and then the cache can be rebuilt as requests come in. If the “cache” is actually the canonical store then that’s an issue, and neither redis nor mnesia nor hot loading are particularly durable solutions. If the cache is the canonical store, it is not ephemeral.

danschultzer

danschultzer

Pow Core Team

I get what you’re saying, the credentials store or reset token store is the source of truth and can’t be ephemeral. Behind the store layers (like credentials store that contains sessions), I use a cache layer that handles short lived key-value items. Both layers can be replaced with whatever you need.

I have found it most practical to treat what is stored in the cache largely as ephemeral data, that can be flushed without any major downside. E.g. a session shouldn’t exist after the user leaves the site. By default ETS is used for this layer, but since that’s inconvenient in a production environment, Mnesia or Redis is recommended so the tokens can survive between restarts.

This data shouldn’t be backed up, the data persisted to the disk is temporary, and if a node connects to a cluster, any local cache data it may have in memory (or on disk) has to be overridden by the cache in the cluster. It isn’t meant to be durable. The user struct with the credentials used for authentication, is the only thing that has to be persisted.

There may be a better term for it, but I hope this clarifies what the data is in the cache backend in Pow.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews