gerbal

gerbal

Is there a recommended ordering of require, use, import, and alias? Does the style guide have anything to say about the preferred ordering of special forms?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

gerbal

gerbal OP

Nevermind, the styleguide is pretty explicit about this: GitHub - christopheradams/elixir_style_guide: A community driven style guide for Elixir · GitHub

List module attributes and directives in the following order:

  • @moduledoc
  • @behaviour
  • use
  • import
  • alias
  • require
  • defstruct
  • @type
  • @module_attribute
  • @callback
  • @macrocallback
  • @optional_callbacks

Add a blank line between each grouping, and sort the terms (like module names) alphabetically.

16
Post #1
moxley

moxley

Note that the order of some items have been changed:

  1. @moduledoc
  2. @behaviour
  3. use
  4. import
  5. require
  6. alias
  7. @module_attribute
  8. defstruct
  9. @type
  10. @callback
  11. @macrocallback
  12. @optional_callbacks
  13. defmacro, defmodule, defguard, def, etc.
19
Post #2
sergio

sergio

Does anyone know if mix format takes care of this somehow? Any config I can set to have it auto sort it for me?

cmo

cmo

I don’t know if it handles ordering all of them but might be able to be extended to do so.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

It won‘t ever do that. One premise of the core formatter is that it won‘t change the underlying AST by applying formatting. That ensures that formatting will never introduce a change in behavior of the code and therefore won‘t introduce unintended bugs. Reordering expressions means changing the AST however.

sergio

sergio

Sound decision, makes total sense. I wish it would reorder still :laughing:

I guess I’ll configure Credo to be extra annoying so my team doesn’t commit unordered aliases. credo --strict --no-really-i-want-strict

cmo

cmo

Sorry, I meant recode, not the formatter, when I said “it”.

lud

lud

I wonder if anyone is using the following:

  • alias
  • import
  • require
  • use

So you can just sort the whole thing alphabetically, without empty lines.

An only after that module attributes, including @moduledoc, as in the doc I found quite often useful to be able to reuse another attribute, or even call a remote function.

NobbZ

NobbZ

At my place we do not have a strict order, as long as they are grouped accordingly.

Though due to the way our set up is structured, we often have calls to use/2 in a certain kind of modules that set up “dependencies” to other modules of the same kind input and output events. Those uses were really ugly to write with the regular “use first” rule, and we eventually got into the habbit to generally have aliases first, uses second. require just follows that. And we generally avoid import.

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

Depending on what they are and the “type” of module, I put them close to where they are first used. If there is a single errant function that needs a macro, I require or import it right in that function.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews