hnlprog
As a beginner to both Elixir and programming, it was very helpful that I could easily find things in the Elixir docs.
Do you know of any languages that are similarly documented, or even better in a different way?
With Elixir, I was able to do find everything on a single page (ex. click on a module, see the list of functions, search for a function all in the sidebar).
I found the Ruby documentation to be similar. JS, I could always find MDN pages using Google (less ideal). With Swift, Haskell, and C(++), both finding things and parsing information (and examples, if any) were difficult.
Sorry if this is a bad question! I just really want to have that experience again with another language (or library) for a weekend or few.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
dimitarvp
Clojure has very good docs, but have in mind that they also expect some preliminary familiarity with functional programming, and maybe a basic understanding of LISP in general. Still, their docs are usually very good.
Lua docs are also pretty good, with good reference, albeit a bit wordy and verbosive for my taste – but it helps facilitate understanding for more novice programmers which is something that must be encouraged.
Apart from Elixir, Clojure and Lua, very few languages have such excellent docs like Rust. Rust is very complex and very big but they have docs and even free books with tons of exercises so you can become a master, if you can spare the time and energy.
hnlprog
I was interested in Clojure so this is very cool to hear! I remember looking at the Reference section on Clojure.org and being confused, but now I realize I should have been looking at the API section instead.
I remember I had some trouble navigating and finding things on the Lua docs, but that was a long time ago, so I’ll check it out again.
The Rust docs on first look seem a bit intimidating, but that probably has more to do with the language being complex than with the docs.
Thank you for the insight!
dimitarvp
Forgot to mention.
In the family of LISP languages, Racket is extremely beginner-friendly, definitely check it out.
code-shoily
Clojure. Go. Dart.
hauleth
Not a language, but also contain language documentation
sabiwara
I think Elm deserves to be mentioned here as well. While it is only for the front-end, it is well documented with a special focus to avoid relying on preliminary knowledge, and therefore is really nice for beginners.
I think it can offer an interesting entry point to functional programming, and programming in general (not many advanced concepts to learn).