bosko
I am using Ecto Tds to connect to MS SQL server and till today everything worked fine. I am developing on OS X and deploying application on EC2 instance with Ubuntu 20.04. I build release in Docker with following Dockerfile
FROM ubuntu:20.04 as production-environment
ENV LANG=en_US.UTF-8
ENV DEBIAN_FRONTEND noninteractive
RUN \
apt-get update -y && \
apt-get install -y git curl wget locales gnupg2 build-essential && \
locale-gen en_US.UTF-8 && \
wget https://packages.erlang-solutions.com/erlang-solutions_2.0_all.deb && \
dpkg -i erlang-solutions_2.0_all.deb && \
rm erlang-solutions_2.0_all.deb && \
apt-get update -y && \
apt-get install -y esl-erlang elixir
CMD ["/bin/bash"]
FROM production-environment as build
# ===========
# Application
# ===========
# prepare build dir
WORKDIR /app
# set build ENV
ENV MIX_ENV=prod
ENV SECRET_KEY_BASE=fake
ENV LANG en_US.UTF-8
ENV LANGUAGE en_US.UTF-8
ENV LC_ALL en_US.UTF-8
# install hex + rebar
RUN mix local.hex --force && \
mix local.rebar --force
# install mix dependencies
COPY mix.exs mix.lock ./
RUN mix deps.get --only $MIX_ENV
RUN mkdir config
# copy compile-time config files before we compile dependencies
# to ensure any relevant config change will trigger the dependencies
# to be re-compiled.
COPY config/config.exs config/${MIX_ENV}.exs config/
RUN mix deps.compile
COPY priv priv
COPY lib lib
COPY assets assets
# build assets
run mix assets.deploy
# compile and build release
RUN mix compile
# Changes to config/runtime.exs don't require recompiling the code
COPY config/runtime.exs config/
COPY rel rel
RUN mix release
FROM scratch AS app
WORKDIR /app
COPY --from=build /app/_build/prod/*.tar.gz ./
CMD ["/bin/bash"]
Today suddenly after deploying new version application stopped working with following error:
[error] GenServer #PID<0.697.0> terminating
** (ArgumentError) errors were found at the given arguments:
* 1st argument: not a port
:erlang.port_info(#PID<0.711.0>, :connected)
(elixir 1.13.0) lib/port.ex:273: Port.info/2
(tds 2.3.0) lib/tds/tls.ex:86: Tds.Tls.assert_connected!/1
(tds 2.3.0) lib/tds/tls.ex:41: Tds.Tls.send/2
(tds 2.3.0) lib/tds/tls.ex:209: Tds.Tls.handle_info/2
(stdlib 4.0) gen_server.erl:1120: :gen_server.try_dispatch/4
(stdlib 4.0) gen_server.erl:1197: :gen_server.handle_msg/6
(stdlib 4.0) proc_lib.erl:240: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3
Last message: {:tcp_closed, #Port<0.46>}
State: %Tds.Tls{buffer: nil, handshake?: true, owner_pid: #PID<0.711.0>, socket: #Port<0.46>, ssl_opts: [active: false, cb_info: {Tds.Tls, :tcp, :tcp_closed, :tcp_error}]}
After short investigation I found out that build in Docker used OTP 25 while on my local machine I was still using OTP 24 and installing Elixir 1.13.4-otp-25 resulted in the same error.
I was not able to find any issue related to this reported on Tds so I wonder if anyone have noticed similar problem or has an idea what could cause this error?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
moogle19
Hi @bosko
I just pushed a small fix for your problem to the
masterbranch.Could you try it? Just switch your dep in
mix.exsto{:tds, github: "elixir-ecto/tds"}.If you have problems in the future, just open up an issue on the GitHub repo. It will be more visible there.
bosko
Hi @moogle19,
Thanks for the quick reply. I was not sure if it was Tds or OTP 25 problem so I didin’t want to unnecessary pollute issues.
I’ve just tried version from Git but, unfortunately, it still does not work but now error is different:
moogle19
Hmm, it seems the TCP connection gets closed before the SSL handshake succeeds.
Could you share your config? Have you set some custom
ssl_optsin your config?I have created an issue for further discussion (so we don’t spam the forum
): TLS connection error with OTP 25 · Issue #136 · elixir-ecto/tds · GitHub
gregvaughn
We had to abort an upgrade to OTP 25 because of failures negotiating a TLS connection with a Windows server. That might be the same root cause here. Looks like a fix has been merged for OTP now
https://github.com/erlang/otp/pull/6037