cevado

cevado

So I’ve written an article discussing the difference between “applications” and “libraries” as OTP applications.
I’ve tried to differentiate between them in the context of OTP, and I’d like to know what people think about the points that I made on it.

Showing Posts 1 to 6

hauleth

hauleth

The difference is similar as in OS libraries vs applications (in context of system supervisor). Library is just set of functions grouped in the modules where application is something that can run on its own. Good example there can be OpenTelemetry API vs OpenTelemetry SDK where the first one is “library of functions” and second one is “independent application with own supervision tree”.

cevado

cevado OP

I understand the difference between them. My point on the article is that creating an “application” is an anti-pattern from the point of view of OTP that should be avoided because it reduces the control we have over the execution and how other parts of the system interact with it.

hauleth

hauleth

Yes, because 95% of the time when someone defines application, they wanted library instead. You rarely need to write full application for your purposes, in most cases exposing functions that spawn processes you need is much better than spawning that function for the user, but still there are use cases when it is desirable. For user convenience (like in my systemd library) or that we just need a mutable state for keeping info about rest of the system (like in telemetry, however I think that in future persistent_term may be used there) or that there is no reason for having multiple instances of the processes as it is “sidecar-like” application (like OpenTelemetry).

lkuty

lkuty

FYI, the article is not available anymore. In fact cevado.me is “available on GoDaddy Auctions”.

Interesting article about it at Reusable Elixir Libraries.

cevado

cevado OP

i’ve moved it to https://cevado.wtf/
i’ll make that post available again and link it here.

edit:
so a link to the original blog post of this topic
https://cevado.wtf/posts/otp-applications/

keep in mind that the tone that i’m using this blogpost is not a good one, very mandatory and shitting on peoples solutions. i was planning to rewrite it with a better tone and better language, but never had the time.

gregjohnson

gregjohnson

Thank you. I think your article should be developed to be one of the main sections of the Elixir Docs.

My sense has always been that the docs are missing treatment of these key structuring issues.

For example, the docs have a section “Library guidelines”, but I’m not aware of any discussion in the docs of the differences between a Library and an Application, or more importantly the guidance on how to structure as you provide.

I don’t feel sufficiently qualified to propose a docs PR, but I do think a great many people would appreciate having your observations and suggestions developed into a key component of the docs.

Even after many years of producing production systems your article succinctly calls out the issues I’m sure many of us have had to confront while thinking we must be naive or incompetent because there is no treatment of the issues in the docs.

Many thanks again, Regards …

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews