Our jobs are safe for now (ChatGPT)

Since there is no univocal concept of “simple” I think the answer to this has to be no.

Personally, I don’t find the Tetris example convincing - the log shows the generator produced Tetris without specific details about what Tetris is. There are undoubtedly many implementations of Tetris in the training set.

In a situation with more-novel input, ChatGPT hallucinated most of the functions it tried to use:

I’d get half-dead drunk the day this becomes a reality.

But I have a feeling I am safe from going to hospital from drinking :smiley:

Because that thing is like, I don’t know, 50% of the way to a general / true AI with self-consciousness and self-optimization subroutines.

I am more optimistic. A true AI would (IMO) be borne out of a hyper-self-optimization algorithm. Being able to minimize / simplify / optimize code – including its own – would be its core tenet.

Some kinds of cleanup (especially around deprecations) can already be automated - for instance, the React community has built an impressive arsenal of code-manipulation tools to deal with API changes:

There’s no AI here, tho, just lots of complicated AST-juggling.

1 Like

Tangentially related but I was playing with ChatGPT for my day job and asked it to write a letter explaining why a certain medication was needed for a certain disease and to include citations from the medical literature. It provided a reasonably good response for the first part, but the citation it assigned a quote to was to an article on a semi-related topic that never mentioned the medicine in question or the disease in question. So I guess other jobs are still safe too.

1 Like

I hardly doubt that, this is more related to a conclusion that senior engineers understand better what they are testing the system for. While it is true that writing tests on some systems is harder than the system itself, a good balance should be always kept. If you are using 80% of your time to write tests instead of creating something new, on a system where you can allow certain errors, then you are not an efficient developer, no matter how many fancy testing techniques you know and can apply.