crispinb
I want to use a recent fix in Mix (specifically Another attempt at fixing opening in browser on Windows · hexpm/hex@dd9c62b · GitHub) before the next elixir release arrives. I’ve looked through my installation directories (.asdf/installs/elixir/current/ on linux and ~\scoop\apps\elixir\current\ on windows) and have confused myself. I’ve browsed and ripgrepped and can’t find the relevant source. I realise I don’t have a good handle on how the default packages work so wouldn’t be sure what to do even if I do find it. So some questions from the general to the specific:
- is there a good general doc or description somewhere of how elixir packages relate to modules, and how module discovery and loading works? (in which case I might be able to answer the below questions myself).
- what are the source files (in
[installdir]/lib) used for? I’m guessing they’re not locally compiled, given the presence of the presumably preinstalled *.beam files in[installdir]/lib/**/ebin? - either way, can a preinstalled package be overriden locally? (eg. is there an equivalent of the order in a java classpath I can rely on, or can I edit and recompile one of the preinstalled modules in place?)
- how would I do this (whatever ‘this’ may turn out to be) for the Mix.Tasks.Hex.Docs in the quoted commit?
Answers to any or all alike much appreciated!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone.
My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #ai
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
eksperimental
Create a simbolic link in the install folder , that points to the git repo, I call mine “main” which is the name of the Elixir branch it is running on.
crispinb
After a bit of digging, the TLDR is just to delete my ~/.mix folder, and then reinstall the mix archive from HEAD with
mix install github hexpm/hex. I hadn’t entirely grokked that theMix.Tasks.Hex.Docspackage isn’t part of the Elixir installation, but comes with Hex.In case anyone else comes across this and wonders, here are my rube-ish answers to those of my own questions I’ve managed to answer myself (corrections/additions very welcome):
I haven’t found a single comprehensive source, but reading this Erlang doc (code — OTP 29.0.2 (kernel 11.0.2)), and playing around in
iexwith the:codefunctions was pretty enlightening.Perhaps but I haven’t tried it as it turned out not to be relevant to my situation after all. There is of course a code path from which BEAM files are loaded, and you can add to it
:code.add_paths/1or via an$ERL_LIBSenv var. In Erlang you can override anything other than the Kernel and StdLib modules, but I’m not sure about Elixir.Remove the hex-installed archives from
~/.mix, and reinstall from the hexpm/hex github repo HEAD withmix archive.install.crispinb
Thanks @eksperimental - it turns out I misdirected you, & the changes I wanted to bring in weren’t from the base Elixir installation.