evadne
Packmatic generates Zip Streams by aggregating File or URL Sources.
By using a Stream, the caller can compose it within the confines of Plug’s request/response model and serve the content of the resultant Zip acrhive in a streaming fashion. This allows fast delivery of a Zip archive consisting of many disparate parts hosted in different places, without having to first spool all of them to disk. The generated archive uses Zip64, and works with individual files that are larger than 4GB.
The Documentation contains a more detailed explanation of why it was built.
Trending in Announcing
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents
See this post about renaming the package.
Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components.
https://github.com/woylie/doggo
Features
Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library.
Current functionality
In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
Following on from my CLDR lbraries I started work on Unicode transforms. But like everything related to CLDR there is a lot of yak-shavin...
New
Other Trending Topics
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
engineeringdept
This looks great, thanks for releasing it.
evadne
ananthakumaran
I am just wondering if you were aware of GitHub - ananthakumaran/zstream: An elixir library to write and read ZIP file in a streaming fashion · GitHub when you started the project. Seems like there is a major overlap in features between the two
evadne
Yes. It does not do Unicode names, Zip64, or provide easy Plug integration. Not does it seem to have support for URL based Sources or any Custom Source which was recently added. I have seen a few other libraries like these as well.
The reason of building Packmatic was to solve a specific implementation issue outlined in the rationale section (in the README). Nevertheless, availability of these libraries made the task of implementing Packmatic easier. I have noticed that your library is not acknowledged in the README section and I will do so in the next release.
LostKobrakai
So packmatic can do unicode filenames on win/mac? I recently found out
:zipdoesn‘t do so.qhwa
Thanks for releasing it! I am currently working on a project which requires some zip file processing.
:zipworks fine at this moment but in the recent future we will be generating zip files on-the-fly with url based remote files.I feel your library is such a perfect fit. So glad to know it and definitely will give it a try. Thank you for sharing!
evadne
I believe it does if I have interpreted the specification correctly. Haven’t had any issues so far with our own use cases.
See this: Packmatic.Field.Local.FileHeader — Packmatic v2.0.0 (first item in Notes) and this: Packmatic.Field.Central.FileHeader — Packmatic v2.0.0 (also first item).
ananthakumaran
zip64 is a known issue, but I was assuming it does support utf8 filenames (bit 11 of general purpose flag is set)
sorentwo
I had some similar requirements a few months ago:
For our specific use case we needed to generate very large zips of video data without worrying about disk space. The goal was to create a multi part upload in S3 as the zip was created and to avoid disk writes altogether. The goal was to limit memory use to that of the largest video file. This was an unusual enough use case that I created a new library for it: zap.
Due to the specifics of the use case it doesn’t compress at all (though it could quite easily). Through the use of streams it accumulates inputs and periodically emits chunks of output suitable for S3. Since switching to zap we haven’t had any disk space issues.
Edit: I’m sharing in this thread in case others find themselves in a similar situation. Zap has a specific use case that is much narrower than packmatic, but we probably could have made packmatic work for our needs.
evadne
I shall add yours to the list as well. For S3 Multipart Uploads my preference would be to use a separate component to accumulate/buffer chunks as there is a limit on number of chunks, and another on size of chunks.
Further, within Packmatic, the URL Source reads in chunks as well (powered by ibrowse), so it could theoretically process source files that do not fit on the host.
The design rationale was driven by user experience. I wanted the download to start instantaneously, and this could only be achieved by not buffering anything at all prior to vending of the stream. Once the download starts the user will wait.