Arsenalist

Arsenalist

I’m using the Paginator library and right before calling Repo.paginate(), I print the query which is:

Query: #Ecto.Query<from c0 in Amplify.Models.ContestEntry,
 where: c0.contest_id == ^"2", where: not is_nil(c0.prize_id),
 order_by: [desc: c0.inserted_at]>

This makes sense to me, but when I call paginate, it executes:

SELECT ... 
FROM "contest_entries" AS c0 
WHERE (c0."contest_id" = $1) AND (NOT (c0."prize_id" IS NULL)) AND (c0."inserted_at" < $2) 
ORDER BY c0."inserted_at" LIMIT $3 [2, ~U[2024-09-26 19:10:25Z], 4]

Notice that the executed ORDER BY does not have the DESC associated with it.

Could this be because I am passing before to paginator and it defaults to an ASC sort in that case when I really want a DESC sort? If so, how does Paginator handle traversing through a list sorted in reverse?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

arcyfelix

arcyfelix

I believe Paginator has been abandoned, and it is generally recommended that you migrate your code to Flop.

Arsenalist

Arsenalist OP

Thank you. I switched to Flop and am getting similar behaviour:

Query before being executed:

#Ecto.Query<from c0 in Amplify.Models.ContestEntry,
 where: c0.contest_id == ^"2", where: not is_nil(c0.prize_id)>

Flop parameters:

%{
  "after" => nil,
  "before" => nil,
  "first" => 3,
  "order_by" => ["inserted_at"],
  "order_direction" => ["desc"]
}

How I’m calling it:

Flop.validate_and_run(query, params)

Actual query that’s run:

SELECT ... 
FROM "contest_entries" AS c0 WHERE (c0."contest_id" = $1) AND (NOT (c0."prize_id" IS NULL)) 
ORDER BY c0."inserted_at" LIMIT $2 [2, 4]

I expect it to execute ORDER BY c0."inserted_at" DESC but it’s not adding the DESC part.

Schultzer

Schultzer

If you’re just doing offset/limit or keyset why not just write it yourself?

Arsenalist

Arsenalist OP

I’m not using limit/offset. I want to use cursor based paging.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews