sezaru
I have a route where I need to receive an uploaded image and a json payload, to do that, I’m using multipart/form-data.
The issue is that when I receive the payload in my controller, the json part is not decoded properly, I receive it in string form.
Here is my curl request, as you can see, I am passing the corret content-type for the json payload:
curl -X POST http://localhost:4000/api/qr_code/simple \
-H "Content-Type:multipart/form-data" \
-F "file=@logo.svg;type=image/svg+xml" \
-F "payload={\"my\":\"json\"};type=application/json"
The only way I managed to achieve that was to create a plug myself that do the decode:
defmodule MyParser do
@moduledoc false
@behaviour Plug
def init(opts) do
key = opts |> Keyword.fetch!(:key) |> to_string()
key
end
def call(%{req_headers: req_headers} = conn, key) do
with {"content-type", content_type} <- List.keyfind(req_headers, "content-type", 0),
true <- String.starts_with?(content_type, "multipart/form-data") do
maybe_parse_key_content(conn, key)
else
_ -> conn
end
end
defp maybe_parse_key_content(%{body_params: body_params} = conn, key) do
with {:ok, content} when is_binary(content) <- Map.fetch(body_params, key),
{:ok, decoded_content} <- Jason.decode(content) do
put_in(conn, [Access.key(:body_params), key], decoded_content)
else
_ -> conn
end
end
end
It works, but I feel that Phoenix should do that automatically.
So, is there some way to tell the Phoenix Controller to properly parse that field for me?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
codeanpeace
Have you taken a look at the Plug documentation and the built-in parsers?
sezaru
I did, but I couldn’t make it work for the above case
LostKobrakai
You want to look at Plug.Parsers.MULTIPART — Plug v1.20.2 to customize how you treat the json file vs the image file. On a multipart request all you get are named files with data. The parser cannot tell that you want json to be further parsed, while the image is meant to be kept as an “uploaded file”.
sezaru
Thanks, I will take a look at that plug.
But just a question about this part:
Why is that? I do see that the information that the json type is
application/jsonis sent to the server, shouldn’t the plug parser see that and automatically parse it anyway?LostKobrakai
You’re assuming that’s the correct way to handle it because that’s your usecase here. People do upload json files on file inputs and they’re expected to not be treated differently than other files uploaded through the same input field. If you need certain files on the request to be treated differently that’s for you to implement.