Pass in session data to a live view when instigated via a live route?

phoenix
guardian
liveview

Is there any way to pass up session data via a live route to a live view controller? Specifically, I’d like to pass up the current authenticated user.

In my mount call I tried to make the following call:

current_user = Zoinks.Guardian.Plug.current_resource( socket.endpoint )

However, this fails with the following error:

[error] #PID<0.20188.5> running ZoinksWeb.Endpoint (connection #PID<0.20187.5>, stream id 1) terminated
Server: localhost:4000 (http)
Request: GET /tasks
** (exit) an exception was raised:
    ** (UndefinedFunctionError) function ZoinksWeb.Endpoint.private/0 is undefined or private
        (zoinks) ZoinksWeb.Endpoint.private()
        (guardian) lib/guardian/plug/pipeline.ex:203: Guardian.Plug.Pipeline.current_key/1
        (guardian) lib/guardian/plug.ex:297: Guardian.Plug.fetch_key/2
        (guardian) lib/guardian/plug.ex:127: Guardian.Plug.current_resource/2
        (zoinks) lib/zoinks_web/live/task_live/index.ex:26: ZoinksWeb.TaskLive.Index.fetch/1
        (zoinks) lib/zoinks_web/live/task_live/index.ex:15: ZoinksWeb.TaskLive.Index.mount/2
        (phoenix_live_view) lib/phoenix_live_view/view.ex:332: Phoenix.LiveView.View.do_static_mount/3
        (phoenix_live_view) lib/phoenix_live_view/view.ex:197: Phoenix.LiveView.View.static_render/3
        (phoenix_live_view) lib/phoenix_live_view/controller.ex:39: Phoenix.LiveView.Controller.live_render/3
        (phoenix) lib/phoenix/router.ex:275: Phoenix.Router.__call__/1
        (zoinks) lib/plug/error_handler.ex:64: ZoinksWeb.Router.call/2
        (zoinks) lib/zoinks_web/endpoint.ex:1: ZoinksWeb.Endpoint.plug_builder_call/2
        (zoinks) lib/plug/debugger.ex:122: ZoinksWeb.Endpoint."call (overridable 3)"/2
        (zoinks) lib/zoinks_web/endpoint.ex:1: ZoinksWeb.Endpoint.call/2
        (phoenix) lib/phoenix/endpoint/cowboy2_handler.ex:33: Phoenix.Endpoint.Cowboy2Handler.init/2
        (cowboy) /Users/hamishmurphy/Documents/Elixir/zoinks/deps/cowboy/src/cowboy_handler.erl:41: :cowboy_handler.execute/2
        (cowboy) /Users/hamishmurphy/Documents/Elixir/zoinks/deps/cowboy/src/cowboy_stream_h.erl:296: :cowboy_stream_h.execute/3
        (cowboy) /Users/hamishmurphy/Documents/Elixir/zoinks/deps/cowboy/src/cowboy_stream_h.erl:274: :cowboy_stream_h.request_process/3
        (stdlib) proc_lib.erl:249: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3

That’s because there is no ZoinksWeb.Endpoint.private[:guardian_key]. So it would be helpful if I could just pass up the data from the assigns that is already attached to the View. Is there some way I can do this?

0 Likes

I missed this part in the documentation about referencing parent assigns.

This plug sets the current_user assign before the live view route is instigated:

defmodule Zoinks.Guardian.CurrentUser do
  import Plug.Conn

def init(opts), do: opts

def call(conn, _opts) do
    current_user = Zoinks.Guardian.Plug.current_resource(conn)
    assign( conn, :current_user, current_user )
  end
end

In my live view, the call to assign_new exposes the current_user assign (supplied by the parent view):

def mount(session, socket) do
  {:ok, fetch(assign_new(socket, :current_user, fn -> end))}
end

defp fetch( %{assigns: assigns} = socket ) do
  # Do something with assigns.current_user

socket
end
0 Likes

You still need to provide the minimal session data necessary to fetch the current user. For example, if the LV disconnects or crashes and rejoins, you won’t have the current_user from the parent assigns, so you still need to pass the current_user.id to the LV session and your mount needs to fallback to fetching the user from the DB in the event of connection/error recovery: ie:

def mount(%{user_id: user_id} = _session, socket) do
  {:ok, assign_new(socket, :current_user, fn -> Accounts.get_user!(user_id) end)}
end
1 Like

Is there any way I can add the user_id key to the session without making an explicit call to live_render? This is what I have right now:

defmodule ZoinksWeb.Router do
  pipeline :browser_auth do
    plug Zoinks.Guardian.AuthPipeline
    plug Zoinks.Guardian.CurrentUser
  end

scope "/", ZoinksWeb do
    pipe_through [:browser, :browser_auth]

live "/tasks", TaskLive.Index
  end
end

Or do I need to switch out the live route with:

get "/tasks", TaskController, :index

And make the call to live_render like this?

defmodule ZoinksWeb.TaskController do
  def index(conn, _params) do
    live_render(conn, TasksLive.Index, session: %{
      user_id: conn.assigns.current_user.id
    })
  end
end
0 Likes