jschaeff
Hello,
I’m writing my first Elixir program and I’ve managed to to the hardest part of it, but I’m stuck at the ultimate stage and I need some external help now.
The program is an HTTP server that receives requests from the user, analyze the parameters and launches an external executable. This executable spits binary data on it’s standard output and I need to pass this data to the client as a stream.
I’ve managed to write this part like this, but I can’t get any data at the client side. Can you help me understand what’s wrong and how I can fix it ?
# This function opens a Port, start a chunked HTTP response for the client and transmits the data
defp make_response({:ok, datareq}, conn) do
dataselect = System.find_executable("dataselect")
port = Port.open({:spawn_executable, dataselect},
[:stderr_to_stdout, :binary, :exit_status, args: Enum.concat(["-s", selections_file, "-o", "-"], fileslist)])
Logger.notice("Sending response from dataselect #{inspect(port)}")
conn = conn
|> Plug.Conn.put_resp_header("content-disposition", "attachment; filename=fdsnws-dataselect.mseed")
|> Plug.Conn.put_resp_header("content-type", "application/vnd.fdsn.mseed")
|> Plug.Conn.send_chunked(200) # Initiate chunked response
|> stream_dataselect_output(port)
end
# This function listen to the data from the port and sends it through Plug
defp stream_dataselect_output(conn, port) do
receive do
{:data, data} ->
Logger.debug("Receiving data chunk for #{inspect(data)}")
conn
|> Plug.Conn.chunk(data)
|> stream_dataselect_output(port)
:eof ->
conn
{:exit_status, status } ->
Logger.info("Exit status: #{status}")
conn
after 3000 ->
Logger.info("Timeout waiting for dataselect")
conn
end
end
I always hit the timeout and get the error message here:
08:52:05.774 [notice] Sending response from dataselect #Port<0.18>
08:52:05.777 [info] Chunked 200 in 308ms
08:52:08.778 [info] Timeout waiting for dataselect
08:52:08.822 [error] GenServer #PID<0.677.0> terminating
** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in Bandit.HTTP1.Handler.handle_info/2
(bandit 1.0.0-pre.10) lib/thousand_island/handler.ex:5: Bandit.HTTP1.Handler.handle_info({#Port<0.18>, {:data, <<48, 48, 48, 48, 48, 53, 77, 32, 67, 73, 69, 76, 32, 48, 49, 72, 78, 90, 70, 82, 7, 231, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 104, 0, 200, 0, 1, 2, 32, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 64, ...>>}}, {%ThousandIsland.Socket{socket: #Port<0.17>, transport_module: ThousandIsland.Transports.TCP, read_timeout: 60000, span: %ThousandIsland.Telemetry{span_name: :connection, telemetry_span_context: #Reference<0.2562483382.3605266436.113476>, start_time: -576460748085329422, start_metadata: %{parent_telemetry_span_context: #Reference<0.2562483382.3605266433.114612>, remote_address: {127, 0, 0, 1}, remote_port: 34208, telemetry_span_context: #Reference<0.2562483382.3605266436.113476>}}}, %{handler_module: Bandit.HTTP1.Handler, http_1_enabled: true, http_2_enabled: true, opts: %{http_1: [], http_2: [], websocket: []}, plug: {Wsdataselect.Router, []}, requests_processed: 1, websocket_enabled: true}})
(stdlib 4.3) gen_server.erl:1123: :gen_server.try_dispatch/4
(stdlib 4.3) gen_server.erl:1200: :gen_server.handle_msg/6
(stdlib 4.3) proc_lib.erl:240: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3
Last message: {#Port<0.18>, {:data, <<48, 48, 48, 48, 48, 53, 77, 32, 67, 73, 69, 76, 32, 48, 49, 72, 78, 90, 70, 82, 7, 231, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 104, 0, 200, 0, 1, 2, 32, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 64, ...>>}}
State: {%ThousandIsland.Socket{socket: #Port<0.17>, transport_module: ThousandIsland.Transports.TCP, read_timeout: 60000, span: %ThousandIsland.Telemetry{span_name: :connection, telemetry_span_context: #Reference<0.2562483382.3605266436.113476>, start_time: -576460748085329422, start_metadata: %{parent_telemetry_span_context: #Reference<0.2562483382.3605266433.114612>, remote_address: {127, 0, 0, 1}, remote_port: 34208, telemetry_span_context: #Reference<0.2562483382.3605266436.113476>}}}, %{handler_module: Bandit.HTTP1.Handler, http_1_enabled: true, http_2_enabled: true, opts: %{http_1: [], http_2: [], websocket: []}, plug: {Wsdataselect.Router, []}, requests_processed: 1, websocket_enabled: true}}
Somebody get’s what’s wrong here ?
Thanks !
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
adamu
I’m not sure how your dataselect tool works, but I suspect the problem is that the external process will not exit (or the stream is not flushed) until you close the port, which is why you are getting a timeout. But if you close the port, the beam will close the stream from the process, potentially truncating the output. This is a limitation with the beam and requires external tools to work around.
(I’m outside on phone now, sure somebody else will write a better reply before I can).
krasenyp
Maybe you can make it work with a port but I’d look into other solutions. Maybe pipe the output of
dataselectto a temporary file and read that file withFile.stream!, combining it withEnum.reduce_whileto send chunks.Edit:
IO.binstreamis more appropriate since the data is binary data.Edit 2: Another option is
System.cmdwith theinto: IO.stream()option.jschaeff
Thank you for your ideas. I appreciate a lot !
I gave a quick try to
System.cmdwhith aIO.binstream()but I must confess I was not able to manipulate theEnum.reduce_while/3along withPlug.Conn.chunk().Therefore, for now, I wrote my output to a temporary file and transmit to the user with
Plug.Conn.send_file/5As a matter of fact, 95% of my requests will generate less than 1MB, so the overhead of writing to a file before sending to the user is bearable.
I am also able to evaluate the result size before running the request, so I return a 429 in case of too much data, not risking to fill the temporary directory.
I must say I realy enjoy coding in elixir
ausimian
You’re not matching on the right shape of data. For example to match on incoming data, you need to match on
{^port, {:data, data}}.Also you should check the result of
chunk/2. If it returns{:error, reason}, you should just return the conn.Apologies for any formatting, I’m typing this on my phone.
Edit: see the Port docs for more details
ausimian
Also I noticed you’re using Bandit. In my testing, Bandit throws away the result of the underlying socket send in
chunk/2calls, which means you’ll never get an error if the client terminates before the end of the stream. If you’re capped at 1MB, this might not matter to you.I’ve reported the bandit issue on GitHub.
jschaeff
Thank you, using your pattern matching, it’s working like a charm !
Thank you also for your warning regarding bandit. I’ll see if it’s a problem.
ausimian
Glad it helped.
The Bandit issue has been fixed.