sodapopcan

sodapopcan

Is there a way to pass initial values to a LiveView JS hook from the server?

Here’s my example LiveView:

defmodule FooWeb.PageLive do
  use FooWeb, :live_view

  @impl true
  def mount(_params, _session, socket) do
    {:ok, assign(socket, foo_assigns_i_want_to_reference_in_my_hook: %{bar: "hi"})}
  end

  @impl true
  def render(assigns) do
    ~L"""
    <div phx-hook="FooDomNode"></div>
    """
  end
end

And here is my JS hook:

let Hook = {}
Hook.FooDomNode = {
  mounted() {
    // Is there anyway I can access `foo_assigns_i_want_to_reference_in_my_hook` in here?
  }
}

// ... More JS boilerplate that properly passes `Hook` to `new LiveSocket(...)` and connects

As the commented part of the JS hook states: Is there anyway to reference the assigns of the LiveView mount in the JS hook’s mounted callback?

Thank you!!

Showing Posts 1 to 6

sodapopcan

sodapopcan OP

I’m going to preemptively add: I’m wondering if there is a cleaner and more official way to do this than to serialize the assigns in a data attribute on the hook’s node.

sfusato

sfusato

There was recently added push_event/3 in 0.14.0 for pushing events and data from the server to the client.

sodapopcan

sodapopcan OP

Oh, great, thank you! It took me a minute to realize I was on v1.13 of LiveView (I was conflating Phoenix and LiveView versions).

Lango

Lango

How exactly would this work? I’m assuming the answer to the question is ‘no’ you can’t access it from the mounted event?

In my mind I would need to do something like this:

  1. Liveview loads
  2. Mounted callback is triggered
  3. Server somehow knows that mounted was called (perhaps by mounted sending a message?)
  4. Server pushes an event to everyone

Is that correct? Or am I way off base here

cmo

cmo

There are a few ways of communicating back and forth. The aforementioned push_event, the aforementioned assigning to a data attribute and reading it, e.g.

  def render(assigns) do
    ~L"""
      <div
        id="colorpicker-<%= @id %>"
        phx-hook="ColorPicker"
        phx-update="ignore"
        data-target="<%= @target %>"
        data-value="<%= @color %>"
        class="<%= @class %>">
        <input id="colorpicker-<%= @id %>-input" type="color" name="<%= @name %>">
      </div>
    """
  end

and hook:

Hooks.ColorPicker {
  value() {
    return this.el.dataset.value;
  },
  mounted() {
    this.picker = new ColorPicker({
      value: this.value(),
      enableOpacity: false,
      mode: "Palette",
    });

    const target = this.el.getAttribute("id") + "-input";
    this.picker.appendTo("#" + target);
  },
  updated() {
    this.picker.value = this.value();
  },
};

You see the data-value attribute in the render function is picked up in the value() function on the hook. data-value in the Hook’s tag is picked up by this.el.dataset.value.

See Phoenix LiveDashboard chart code which does this.

You can then send things back to the server with pushEvent and pushEventTo if you need.

Something like this:

    // listen to event: color changed in picker
    // this.picker.addEventListener("change", (e) => {
    //   this.pushEventTo(this.el.dataset.target, "set_color", {
    //     id: this.el.getAttribute("id"),
    //     color: e.value,
    //   });
    // });
Lango

Lango

Thanks for that cmo. Apologies for taking so long to reply, I was expecting to be email notified that someone replied.

I had a large amount of trouble getting complex objects to pass in via the data-value.

Instead I think I’m going to trigger a resend to everyone when a new client joins. That would be acceptable for my scenario

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews