klo
Hello all!
I have a question about liveview. I currently have something in my router like
scope "/" MyAppWeb do
pipe_through :browser
live "/link", MyLiveApp.Index
live "/link/:id", MyLiveApp.Show
end
and inside of my index.ex I have something like
def link(assigns) do
~H"""
<.link navigate={~p"/link/#{@link}"} link={@link}>
"""
end
In my show I get the param link getting sent through but is there a way to pass all the information through that is contained in link say a struct %Link{id: 123, "url": "https://google.com"} or do I have to just send the id and refetch the data?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Latest Phoenix Threads
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 8- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
garrison
You can pass query params into the
~p""sigil, see Verified Routes.The client will be able to see those params in the link, of course. If for some reason you wanted to hide the information from the client you would be better off storing it in the database.
klo
If i had say a list of movies e.g. The Matrix, Matrix Reloaded, etc and in my initial route (/link) I would render all the movies w/ all information. Can I not just pas down The Matrix and all data initially fetched for “/link/the_matrix” or I will need a refetch?
garrison
It depends on how you’ve architected your LiveView.
If you have one big LiveView, you can use
patch={...}instead ofnavigateto patch the current LiveView. You can then conditionally render just one movie instead of all of them, call out to components, etc.If your “all movies” and “one movie” routes are separate LiveViews, then you need to re-fetch the data as you say. I would not pass this information via query params, as that would be abnormal (and would allow for weird injection behavior).
Both of these approaches are valid and you would choose one based on your requirements. See Live Navigation.
klo
when you mention separate LiveViews do you mean something like
/linkand/link/some_id(same) vs/link/pancakes/some_id(separate)?garrison
No, it’s the LiveView module that your router points to. Like:
That last atom will be passed to
handle_paramsand available as@live_action, see the docs.You will have to architect the LiveView to understand which route it’s on (using
@live_actionand the assigns) and conditionally render whatever it is you want to show.klo
cool. Gotcha. For now i did something like
essentially creating a new module for the show
garrison
That would be the “second” option I showed. Each route points to its own LiveView. If you want to keep that approach, you should re-fetch the data from the DB.
FlyingNoodle
Don’t start to optimise prematurely.
Fetching an entire list of movies should be paginated anyway and even a single phoenix instance with a cheap DB will be able to serve several hundred requests per second most likely.
If you check your logs while developing, you will see the response times of your requests.