Maxximiliann

Maxximiliann

JSON is serialized into Erlang unicode and then passed to a Python process:

defmodule Sandbox do
  def foo(json_data) do
    port =
      :erlang.open_port(
        {:spawn, 'python3 -u lib/Python/Sandbox.py'},
        [:binary, packet: 4]
      )

    execute = fn data ->
      send(port, {self(), {:command, :erlang.term_to_binary({data})}})

      receive do
        {_, {:data, response}} -> :erlang.binary_to_term(response)
      after
        60000 ->
          {:error, :timeout}
      end
    end

    {_, results_string} = execute.(json_data)

    Print.text("sending JSON data, python result: #{results_string}")
  end
end

Example of what the Python process receives:

json_data = "<<131, 109, 0, 0, 0, 212, 123, 34, 97, 109, 111, 117, 110, 116, 95, 97, 115, 115, 101, 116, 34, 58, 34, 87, 65, 86, 69, 83, 34, 44, 34, 110, 111, 114, 109, 97, 108, 105, 122, 101, 100, 95, 97, 109, 111, 117, 110, 116, 34, 58, 52, 54, 54, 57, 55, 49, 51, 55, 56, 44, 34, 111, 114, 100, 101, 114, 95, 108, 105, 102, 101, 116, 105, 109, 101, 34, 58, 54, 49, 44, 34, 112, 114, 105, 99, 101, 34, 58, 48, 46, 48, 56, 56, 54, 51, 48, 48, 55, 44, 34, 112, 114, 105, 99, 101, 95, 97, 115, 115, 101, 116, 34, 58, 34, 72, 90, 107, 49, 109, 98, 102, 117, 74, 112, 109, 120, 85, 49, 70, 115, 52, 65, 88, 53, 77, 87, 76, 86, 89, 116, 99, 116, 115, 78, 99, 103, 54, 101, 50, 67, 54, 86, 75, 113, 75, 56, 122, 107, 34, 44, 34, 117, 105, 100, 34, 58, 34, 50, 48, 50, 48, 45, 49, 49, 45, 50, 51, 32, 50, 48, 58, 48, 51, 58, 53, 49, 46, 48, 48, 53, 50, 49, 53, 90, 116, 55, 71, 79, 79, 54, 49, 71, 89, 117, 112, 119, 78, 117, 122, 115, 109, 102, 52, 119, 83, 119, 34, 125>>"

To deserialize this into a Python dictionary the “<<” and “>>” characters need to be stripped off, all of the numbers need to be converted from strs to ints, and then the new list of ints needs to be iterated over to decode it into UTF-8 characters.

Is there a more efficient way to pass JSON from Elixir to Python such that it’s readily parsed by a Python process?

Showing Posts 1 to 1

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

As far as the BEAM’s concerned, a port is just a process where you can send bytes with {:command, io_list} and get bytes back by receiving {:data, io_list}. If it’s easier for your program, you can just send those JSON bytes instead of encoding term → binary.

The term conversion process is handy if you’re sending complicated structures that aren’t already encoded. Take a look at erlport, which already handles decoding ETF and has a Protocol abstraction for dispatching to multiple commands through a single port.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews