IVR

IVR

Hi all,

I have a modal div that I would like to share across multiple pages, so ideally, I’d like to be able to pass partial components into the modal. I’d like to achieve something like this:

# layout/_modal.html.eex
<div class="modal"
x-show="<%= @toggle_variable %>"
@click="<%= @toggle_variable %>=false"
>

...
<%= @inner_content %>
...
</div>

# _sign-in.html.eex
<%= render "_modal.html" toggle_variable: "signin", inner_content: ??? %>
# ideally I'd like the rest of this file to be the inner content itself


# main.html.eex
<div class="main">
...
<%= render "_sign-in.html" %>
...
</div>

Is that possible to achieve?

Many thanks! :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 4

thiagomajesk

thiagomajesk

Hi @IVR if I understood your question, I think you could do something like this:

def render_modal(do: block) do
  # content assign to be called as @content inside modal template
  render(ModalView, "_modal.html", content: block) 
end

And then call it like this:

<%= render_modal do %>
   My Content
<% end %>
IVR

IVR OP

Hey, thanks for the suggestion!

It does indeed look like what I’m looking for. Unfortunately, I’m lacking details here. How would you recommend to use this function? Here is what I’ve tried to do: I created a modal_controller.ex with your function, then I also created a modal_view.ex and a _modal.html.eex with a structure like this:

<div>
...
<% @content %>
...
</div>

Then I tried calling it from another html.eex file as you suggested, but I’m getting an error: undefined function render_modal/1, which is actually what I was partially expecting to see.

What am I missing here?

thiagomajesk

thiagomajesk

You would usually want to do something like this:

defmodule MyAppWeb.ModalView do
  use MyAppWeb, :view

  def render_modal(do: block) do
    render("_modal.html", content: block) 
  end
end

In your my_app_web/templates/modal/_modal.html:

<div class="modal">
  <h4 class="modal-header">Hello World</h4>
  <div class="modal-body"><%= @content %><div>
<div>

And then in the place you actually want to render the modal you’d call the view function:

<%= MyAppWeb.ModalView.render_modal do %>
   <button>Click Me!</button>
<% end %>

The important part is that you can pass a block to a function and this block can be passed as an assign to your templates through Phoenix.View.render/2 or Phoenix.View.render/3 (like in my first example).

It also helps if you get familiarized with how views work in Phoenix: https://hexdocs.pm/phoenix/Phoenix.View.html#content, because you end up using it a lot for things like this.

IVR

IVR OP

Excellent, it works, thank you!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews