francesco.pessina

francesco.pessina

Hello everyone :slight_smile:
We are experiencing a weird problem with Phoenix Websockets.

We are exposing an authenticated channel. The authentication is made getting the token from the token parameter given during the connection, and then if the token is valid the connection is established.

The problem is that the token is passed as query param in the url of the connection (for example …/socket/websocket?token=…).
For us this is a problem because in some cases we have very long token (2500 chars) which generates a url which have a length greater than the one accepted by our load balancer.

So my question is: is there an alternative way to pass a token along a websocket connection (maybe through a header on into the request body)?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

bartblast

bartblast

Creator of Hologram

You don’t control how the token is generated?

francesco.pessina

francesco.pessina OP

Not really. The token is generated by Keycloak and the data contained in it is used by also other applications against the user authenticates with the token.

dodo

dodo

You cannot set additional headers unfortunately.

You could allow anyone to connect, but then require the first message to be the auth token, and deny every other message if the user is not authenticated.

the-mikedavis

the-mikedavis

So you can pass the token as a header by configuring the websocket like so

# lib/my_app_web/endpoint.ex

socket("/socket", MyAppWeb.UserSocket,
  websocket: [connect_info: [:x_headers]],
  longpoll: false
)

And then passing some {"x-auth-token", auth_token} in the client and handling the token in the connect/3 callback

# lib/my_app_web/channels/user_socket.ex

def connect(_params, socket, %{x_headers: x_headers}) do
  with {:ok, proposed_token} <-
         Enum.find_value(x_headers, :error, fn {k, v} -> k == "x-auth-token" && {:ok, v} end),
       :ok <- MyTokenAuthenticator.authenticate_token(proposed_token) do
    {:ok, socket}
  else
    _ ->
      :error
  end
end

But this won’t work if you’re connecting to the socket in a browser because the WebSocket API in browsers does not allow setting custom headers. If you’re connecting from browsers, I think the only option is to allow all connections:

# lib/my_app_web/channels/user_socket.ex

def connect(_params, socket, _connect_info) do
  {:ok, socket}
end

And instead check the token in the c:Phoenix.Channel.join/3 callback. In fact that documentation has an example of this:

def join("room:lobby", payload, socket) do
  if authorized?(payload) do
    {:ok, socket}
  else
    {:error, %{reason: "unauthorized"}}
  end
end

And that payload in join/3 is encoded in a websocket frame, so it shouldn’t trip up your load balancer.

rogerweb

rogerweb

If you allow anyone to connect, you probably want to disconnect non-authenticated users after a certain timeout, otherwise your server will be vulnerable from a security perspective.

It looks Phoenix.Socket is not a long-running process, so sending a message to it using
Process.send_after/3 is not an option.

Any ideas on how to implement it?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews