WestKeys

WestKeys

In an anonymous function you can pattern match on same argument multiple times


color_of = fn
  "fire" ->
    IO.puts "red"

  "water" ->
    IO.puts "blue"

  "grass" ->
    IO.puts "green"

  _ ->
    IO.puts "dunno"
end

color_of.("fire")

Can this be done in a named function?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

rkma

rkma

You can have multiple named functions definitions:

def color_of("fire"), do: IO.puts "red"
def color_of("water"), do: IO.puts "blue"
def color_of("grass"), do: IO.puts "green"
def color_of(_), do: IO.puts "dunno"

color_of("fire")
Nicd

Nicd

Also, when you have multiple clauses, you can have a header where you attach the @spec and @doc annotations:

@doc "Outputs color of given material according to magic rules"
@spec color_of(String.t()) :: :ok
def color_of(material)

def color_of("fire"), do: IO.puts "red"
def color_of("water"), do: IO.puts "blue"
def color_of("grass"), do: IO.puts "green"
def color_of(_), do: IO.puts "dunno"
WestKeys

WestKeys OP

Response on point, but I should have mentioned I had considered this option which is more verbose due to function name duplication. I am guessing this is the idiomatic approach however?

Even more verbose but definitely makes it self-documenting, even without the @doc and @spec.

Can we confirm this is idiomatic elixir ?

rkma

rkma

Indeed, it is idiomatic. Have a look at Elixir’s Enum module, for example: elixir/lib/elixir/lib/enum.ex at v1.11.3 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub

eksperimental

eksperimental

A similar question was asked last week, you may be interested in checking it out.
https://forum.elixirforum.com/t/suggestion-implicit-case-block-in-functions/37135

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Yes, this is idiomatic Elixir.

The function names aren’t duplicates; think of them as separate arms of a huge case clause (because they get compiled to exactly that).

It’s a readability convenience that hacks our brain’s ability to perceive separate written blocks as separate semantic units.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews