tobleron
I was going through elixirschool.com and I am stuck to understand what the author means by specifically this kind of pattern matching. The other kinds I get it, but this one doesn’t make sense.
Functions and Pattern Matching
Behind the scenes, functions are pattern-matching the arguments that they’re called with.
Say we needed a function to accept a map but we’re only interested in using a particular key. We can pattern-match the argument on the presence of that key like this:
defmodule Greeter1 do
def hello(%{name: person_name}) do
IO.puts "Hello, " <> person_name
end
end
This was the output from iex. A bunch of numbers?
{:module, Greeter1,
<<70, 79, 82, 49, 0, 0, 4, 52, 66, 69, 65, 77, 65, 116, 85,
56, 0, 0, 0, 133, 0, 0, 0, 14, 15, 69, 108, 105, 120,
105, 114, 46, 71, 114, 101, 101, 116, 101, 114, 50, 8,
95, 95, 105, 110, 102, 111, ...>>, {:hello, 1}}
So can anyone elaborate what’s happening here?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
asummers
That’s the compiled module byte code. You need to call
Greeter1.hello(%{name: "something"})to actually invoke the function.NobbZ
Basically its the binary representation of the compiled module, you can ignore it when you see it in IEx.
tobleron
Ok, but I do not see any pattern matching here. We just send an argument “something” and it returns “Hello, something”. Where is the pattern matching? Maybe this term is a bit over used?
NobbZ
Thats where the pattern match happens.
tobleron
But this means that this pattern matching will never fail or give an error, because it will accept all kinds of arguments.
NobbZ
No, that match will fail as soon as you pass something into the function that is not a map, or if it is a map and does not have a key
:name.tobleron
Thank you, now I understand!