cgrothaus

cgrothaus

Every freshly generated Phoenix project sports a seeds file priv/repo/seeds.exs and an accompanying mix alias ecto.setup to apply those seeds. AFAIU the seeds can only be applied once to a database.

Are there any established patterns to make the seeds idempotent? Is this a good idea at all?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I personally use seeds only for dummy data for development. If it changes I just drop and reapply. Everything else should imo be a (data) migration.

D4no0

D4no0

Usually I would just make a simple check if the data exists. You could also set some unique indexes and not insert the data when they are violated.

In general I agree with @LostKobrakai , usually the seeds are either one-time or on dev only. I had a single situation where I would make seeds idempotent for a staging environment where dropping all the data was not possible.

cgrothaus

cgrothaus OP

You are totally right: when the seeds change, we should ecto.reset the database.

I am asking because of other considerations: I want to run a database preparation script automatically as part of a devcontainer creation process. But the database may exist already. Rails has a db:prepare command that is idempotent. If there was a mix/ecto/phoenix equivalent of that, I would be happy. See this other forum question about that. But if there is no such equivalent, my seeds should be idempotent, hence my question if there are established patterns for this.

cgrothaus

cgrothaus OP

FTR: I came up with this solution to mark the seeds as already applied from within seeds.exs, so that running that script is idempotent.

defmodule SeedsIdempotencyHandling do
  @magic_marker_value 2000_00_00_00_00_00
  import Ecto.Query, only: [from: 2]

  def seeds_already_applied? do
    query = from m in Ecto.Migration.SchemaMigration, where: m.version == @magic_marker_value
    Repo.exists?(query)
  end

  def mark_seeds_as_applied do
    Repo.insert(%Ecto.Migration.SchemaMigration{
      version: @magic_marker_value,
      inserted_at: NaiveDateTime.utc_now() |> NaiveDateTime.truncate(:second)
    })
  end
end

if SeedsIdempotencyHandling.seeds_already_applied?() do
  IO.puts("Seeds already applied, skipping...")
else
  # put your seeds here
  SeedsIdempotencyHandling.mark_seeds_as_applied()
end
al2o3cr

al2o3cr

It’s likely too much machinery for a single seed, but if you have an ongoing need for idempotent seeding there’s phil_columns:

https://github.com/midas/phil_columns-ex

krasenyp

krasenyp

The mixture of snake and kebab case is making me uncomfortable.

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

I used seeds purely for bootstrapping (so run once). Any changes are added as data migrations as already pointed out.

For dev data I make custom mix tasks. For the reset task I truncate all the tables to empty them which is nice if you’re using postgres as you don’t have to close any running connections to reset (iex, psql, phx.server, etc).

ryanwinchester

ryanwinchester

The simplest solution (not that I like it) would be to do it as a migration?

rcothren

rcothren

That’s the best project name ever.

cgrothaus

cgrothaus OP

Whoops, reply to the wrong post.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews