caleb_ckpabs
How do i generate a pdf with the elixir-pdf-generator library with a view and a template. Currently I use the view’s render function to get a string which i generate the pdf from but this fails to find the images and css files.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
I can’t find such a package on hex. Can you please elaborate which package you are using?
caleb_ckpabs
elixir-pdf-generator
https://github.com/gutschilla/elixir-pdf-generator
NobbZ
I’ve only skimmed the package and its dependencies.
My suggestions:
If your
src-attributes contain relative or absolute pathes to the pictures you will probably need to save them on appropriate places relative to the workingdir ofwkhtmltopdf, but I can’t tell you were that will be.Another possibility might be to use fully qualified
src-pathes, including schema and host. Then wkhtml should do HTTP(S) requests to your server and fetch files as necessary. But these are blind guesses, I do not use that library (or any PDF generator as well).Also please take a look at gutschilla/elixir-pdf-generator#19 and gutschilla/elixir-pdf-generator#20, both could give some lights on this, even though 20 seems to be still untouched after 8 months…
darrenj
I use inline images - using data urls that are the base 64 image data. See data URI scheme - Wikipedia if you are not familiar with them.
It avoids having the images served from somewhere and network latency when you invoke wkhtmltopdf. Just use an onlooker be resource to convert an image to base 64 as a data url. And then insert that into the html content (as in paste into your source content).
NobbZ
But inline images aren’t supported by all browsers, also they blow up the transfer size of your HTML because the innefficiencies of the transfer encoding (usually Base64 encoded or worse…
darrenj
True, but since the question is about generating pdfs and you mentioned wkhtmltopdf I figured it is a pdf that is being provisioned to end users (browsers), so provided the data urls work on the host environment when generating the pdf using wkhtmltopdf then it should be fine.
NobbZ
So you meant to do inline encoding when preparing for wk but serve regularly when responding to requests? That could work but also would increase complexity of the views.
darrenj
If preparing for wkhtmltopdf, yes. Normal requests, well no not normally as you bypass the usual methods of optimising the delivery of static assets, and run the risk ( though minimally these days) of the browser not rendering, and yes make more work for yourself by requiring two implementations. I understood the question to be about the purposes of PDF generation only. Forgive me if that’s not the case. I’m still a relatively newcomer to this forum in terms of posting and really appreciate the resource it is along with folk like yourself.
NobbZ
I understand this a service that is able to either deliver HTML or PDF, depending on what the client asks for.
But to be honest… If it is just wkhtmltopdf, point your clients to their browsers “save as pdf” feature… Works much better for most clients and does not produce any load at the server
LostKobrakai
Browser print cannot be sent via email.