Rich_Morin

Rich_Morin

I just ran into some peculiar behavior when using System.cmd/2 to invoke git log. Can someone tell me what is going on?

When I run git log from the command line, the string “format:” does not appear in the result:

$ git log -1 --pretty="format:%ci" mix.exs
2020-02-03 10:37:31 -0800

$ git log -1 --pretty="%ci" mix.exs
2020-02-03 10:37:31 -0800

However, when I run the command via System.cmd/2, the string “format:” does appear:

$ iex
...
iex(1)> arg_list = ~w(log -1 --pretty="%ci" mix.exs)
["log", "-1", "--pretty=\"%ci\"", "mix.exs"]

iex(2)> System.cmd("git", arg_list)
{"\"2020-02-03 10:37:31 -0800\"\n", 0}

iex(3)> arg_list = ~w(log -1 --pretty="format:%ci" mix.exs)
["log", "-1", "--pretty=\"format:%ci\"", "mix.exs"]

iex(4)> System.cmd("git", arg_list)                        
{"\"format:2020-02-03 10:37:31 -0800\"\n", 0}

Wazzup?

-r

Showing Posts 1 to 1

NobbZ

NobbZ

Assuming you are using a POSIX compliant shell, your second System.cmd/2 call is equivalent to the following on your shell:

git log -1 --pretty='"format:%ci"' mix.exs

You need to omit the doublequotes in elixir (you do not even need them on your shell).

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews