ityonemo

ityonemo

Pegasus - Nimbleparsec parser generator

This library converts a PEG parser library to nimbleparsec parsers. You can “hook” extra functions on to the combinators generated by the PEG language.

The PEG language is here:

Unlike yecc/leex, This PEG grammar is extremely easy to read and write, given ABNF descriptions given in most RFCs or other standards documents (e.g. ECMA). This also leverages the extremely effective compile-time nature of the NimbleParsec library.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

cmo

cmo

Dear Sir,

Do you know of any languages that have a PEG grammar defined that one could look at for inspiration?

ityonemo

ityonemo OP

Most of these:

And this:

https://github.com/E-xyza/zig_parser/blob/main/lib/grammar/grammar.y

tj0

tj0

Wow, I didn’t realize I needed this library. Much, much easier to use than regular expressions. PEG seems like it would be an excellent addition to the core library as an alternative to Regex.

The following code is me just messing around trying to get things to work, but I hope it helps someone.

defmodule PegasusExample do
  import NimbleParsec
  require Pegasus
  @moduledoc """

  Examples for PEG parsing.

  PegasusExample.get_pairs("grass=4,horse=1, star=2")

  From https://github.com/xored/peg/blob/master/docs/grammar-examples.md
  PegasusExample.get_timestamp("2009-09-22T06:59:28")
  PegasusExample.get_timestamp("2009-09-22 06:59:28")
  PegasusExample.get_timestamp("Fri Jun 17 03:50:56 PDT 2011")
  PegasusExample.get_timestamp("2010-10-26 10:00:53.360")
  """

  @parser_options [
    Pair: [tag: :pair],
    Word: [tag: :word],
    Number: [tag: :number],
    Space: [ignore: true],
    Separator: [ignore: true],
    Equals: [ignore: true],
  ]
  Pegasus.parser_from_string(
  """
  List <- Pair (Space* Separator Space* Pair)*
  Pair <- Word Equals Number
  Word <- [A-Za-z0-9_]+
  Number <- [0-9]+
  Space           <- ' ' / '\t' / EndOfLine
  EndOfLine       <- '\r\n' / '\n' / '\r'
  EndOfFile       <- !.
  Separator       <- ','
  Equals          <- '='
  """,
  @parser_options
  )
  defparsec :get_pairs, parsec(:List)

  @parser_timestamp [
    Hour: [tag: :hour],
    Minute: [tag: :minute],
    Second: [tag: :second],
    Year: [tag: :year],
    Month: [tag: :month],
    Day: [tag: :day],
    TZ: [tag: :tz],
    Space: [ignore: true],
    Separator: [ignore: true],
    Equals: [ignore: true],
  ]
  Pegasus.parser_from_string(
  """
    Timestamp <- DateTime / FreeDateTime

    # Times
    Hour <- [0-1] [0-9] / '2' [0-4]
    Minute <- [0-5] [0-9]
    Second <- [0-5] [0-9] / '60'
    Fraction <- ('.' / ',') [0-9]+
    IsoTz <- 'Z' / ('+' / '-') Hour (':'? Minute)?
    TzL <- [A-Z]
    TzAbbr <- TzL TzL (TzL (TzL TzL?)?)?
    TZ <- IsoTz / TzAbbr
    HM <- Hour ':' Minute Fraction?
    HMS <- Hour ':' Minute ':' Second Fraction?
    Time <- ('T' ' '?)? (HMS / HM) (' '? TZ)?

    # Dates
    Year <- [0-9] [0-9] [0-9] [0-9]
    Month <- '0' [1-9] / '1' [0-2]
    Day <- '0' [1-9] / [1-2] [0-9] / '3' [0-1]
    Date <- Year '-' Month ('-' Day)?

    # Combined
    DateTime <- Date ' '? Time

    # Free style
    MonthAbbr <- 'Jan' / 'Feb' / 'Mar' / 'Apr' / 'May' / 'Jun' / 'Jul' / 'Aug' / 'Sep' / 'Sept' / 'Oct' / 'Nov' / 'Dec'
    WeekDayAbbr <- 'Mon' / 'Tu' / 'Tue' / 'Tues' / 'Wed' / 'Th' / 'Thu' / 'Thur' / 'Thurs' / 'Fri' / 'Sat' / 'Sun'
    FreeDateTime <- WeekDayAbbr ' ' MonthAbbr ' ' Day ' ' Time ' ' Year
 """,
   @parser_timestamp)
   defparsec :get_timestamp, parsec(:Timestamp)
end

iex>  PegasusExample.get_pairs("grass=4,horse=1, star=2")
{:ok,
 [
   pair: [word: ~c"grass", number: ~c"4"],
   pair: [word: ~c"horse", number: ~c"1"],
   pair: [word: ~c"star", number: ~c"2"]
 ], "", %{}, {1, 0}, 23}

ityonemo

ityonemo OP

well, to be fair Regex is supported at a low level in the VM (effectively a nif).

And there is a PEG in the stdlib :wink:

TwistingTwists

TwistingTwists

Lovely example there! Thanks a bunch!

tj0

tj0

I don’t know what to tell you, I definitely don’t think I’ve gotten smarter, but I tried using these parsers (BNF/ABNF/lex) and I just couldn’t get them to do what I want. I remember very clearly my frustration because I had to spend a few days writing a custom parser.

However, for some reason, I seem to be able to use PEG just fine, so thank you for the library. Damn, I’d give you five likes for making the library, but I only have one to give. :innocent: And nimble_parsec is also brilliant.

To amuse myself further with this discovery of PEG, I did some benchmarking on parsing emails. Turns out that they are quite comparable in speed and PEG is a tiny bit faster (5-10%) and a lot more consistent on the P99. Hopefully, there’s nothing really funky happening in the benchmark. I’ve put the code and benchmark way down below.

The ridiculous thing I found about this experiment is that the regexp is not really capturing what I would expect. The PEG is a bit longer, but it’s fairly straightforward to understand and returns what I would expect. Grabbed the regex from Ultimate Regex Cheat Sheet - KeyCDN Support , but wrote the PEG for emails myself.

iex> alphabet = Enum.to_list(?a..?z) ++ Enum.to_list(?0..?9)
iex>  {:ok, re_cap} = Regex.compile( "^(?<name>[a-z0-9_\.-]+)@(?<domain>[\da-z\.-]+)\.(?<tld>[a-z\.]{2,5})$" )
iex>  {:ok, re_cap2} = Regex.compile( "^(?<name>[a-z0-9_\.-]+)@(?<domain>[\da-z\.-]+)\.(?<tld>[a-z\.]+)$" )
iex>  email = "#{Enum.take_random(alphabet, 10)}@#{Enum.take_random(alphabet, 5)}.com"

# The TLD doesn't get captured correctly. 
iex> Regex.named_captures(re_cap, email)
%{"domain" => "qixcr.", "name" => "2nzovpcqs3", "tld" => "om"}
iex(315)> Regex.named_captures(re_cap2, email)
%{"domain" => "qixcr.c", "name" => "2nzovpcqs3", "tld" => "m"}

iex> PegasusExample.parse_email(email)
{:ok, [name: ~c"2nzovpcqs3", domain: ~c"qixcr", tld: ~c"com"], "", %{}, {1, 0},
 20}

The code

defmodule PegasusExample do
  import NimbleParsec
  require Pegasus
  # https://www.keycdn.com/support/regex-cheat-sheet
  {:ok, re} = Regex.compile( "^([a-z0-9_\.-]+)@([\da-z\.-]+)\.([a-z\.]{2,5})$" )
  {:ok, re_cap} = Regex.compile( "^(?<name>[a-z0-9_\.-]+)@(?<domain>[\da-z\.-]+)\.(?<tld>[a-z\.]{2,5})$" )

  @email_options [
   Name: [tag: :name],
   Domain: [tag: :domain],
   At: [ignore: true],
   TLD: [tag: :tld],
   Dot: [ignore: true]
  ]

  Pegasus.parser_from_string(
  """
  Email <- Name At (Domain)+ TLD
  Name <- ([a-zA-Z0-9_\.\\-]+)
  Domain <- ([A-Za-z0-9\\-]+ Dot)+
  TLD <- ([A-Za-z\.]) ([A-Za-z\.])+
  Dot <- '.'
  At  <- '@'
  """,
  @email_options
  )
  defparsec :parse_email, parsec(:Email)
  def peg_match_email(email) do
    case parse_email(email) do
    {:ok, result, "", _, _, _} -> :ok
      _ -> :error
    end
  end
end

The benchmark being run:

  alphabet = Enum.to_list(?a..?z) ++ Enum.to_list(?0..?9)
  Benchee.run( %{
  "email_re_capture" => fn ->
     email = "#{Enum.take_random(alphabet, 10)}@#{Enum.take_random(alphabet, 5)}.com"
     Regex.named_captures(re_cap, email)
   end,
  "email_peg_capture" => fn ->
    email = "#{Enum.take_random(alphabet, 10)}@#{Enum.take_random(alphabet, 5)}.com"
    PegasusExample.parse_email(email)
    end,
    },
  print: [benchmarking: false])

  Benchee.run( %{
  "email_re_match" => fn ->
     email = "#{Enum.take_random(alphabet, 10)}@#{Enum.take_random(alphabet, 5)}.com"
     Regex.match?(re, email)
   end,
  "email_peg_match" => fn ->
    email = "#{Enum.take_random(alphabet, 10)}@#{Enum.take_random(alphabet, 5)}.com"
    PegasusExample.peg_match_email(email)
    end,
    },
  print: [benchmarking: false])

The benchmark results for capture

Run1
email_peg_capture       59.75 K       16.74 μs   ±124.79%       13.45 μs       99.53 μs
email_re_capture        16.77 K       59.62 μs    ±87.41%       27.64 μs      167.72 μs

Run2
email_peg_capture       67.01 K       14.92 μs    ±92.65%       13.47 μs       28.94 μs
email_re_capture        57.58 K       17.37 μs    ±73.17%       16.04 μs       32.89 μs

Run3
email_peg_capture       63.27 K       15.81 μs   ±371.03%       13.51 μs       28.87 μs
email_re_capture        58.81 K       17.00 μs   ±123.90%       15.99 μs       41.13 μs

Run4
email_peg_capture       67.35 K       14.85 μs    ±95.18%       13.46 μs       29.41 μs
email_re_capture        50.68 K       19.73 μs    ±93.02%       15.90 μs      117.30 μs

Run5
email_peg_capture       61.56 K       16.24 μs   ±337.60%       13.48 μs       34.45 μs
email_re_capture        59.24 K       16.88 μs   ±160.19%       15.85 μs       40.99 μs

Run6
email_peg_capture       27.46 K       36.42 μs   ±108.31%       14.01 μs      142.27 μs
email_re_capture        20.39 K       49.04 μs   ±101.96%       17.46 μs      167.09 μs

Run7
email_peg_capture       51.39 K       19.46 μs   ±112.58%       13.53 μs      101.15 μs
email_re_capture        19.76 K       50.61 μs    ±98.93%       16.49 μs      160.13 μs

Run8
email_peg_capture       68.10 K       14.68 μs    ±96.96%       13.46 μs       28.67 μs
email_re_capture        42.62 K       23.47 μs   ±127.65%       15.91 μs      122.88 μs

Run9 (on AC)
email_peg_capture       92.31 K       10.83 μs   ±102.89%        9.63 μs       21.32 μs
email_re_capture        80.21 K       12.47 μs    ±97.96%       11.33 μs       23.68 μs

The benchmark results for match

Run1
email_re_match        52.45 K       19.06 μs    ±95.86%       15.14 μs      110.13 μs
email_peg_match       48.50 K       20.62 μs   ±116.19%       13.49 μs      114.79 μs

Run2
email_peg_match       27.24 K       36.72 μs   ±107.88%       13.86 μs      143.16 μs
email_re_match        20.10 K       49.74 μs    ±97.30%       15.49 μs      155.32 μs

Run3
email_peg_match       67.14 K       14.89 μs    ±93.36%       13.46 μs       29.20 μs
email_re_match        61.30 K       16.31 μs    ±85.16%       15.04 μs       31.11 μs

Run4
email_peg_match       66.95 K       14.94 μs    ±99.08%       13.53 μs       28.62 μs
email_re_match        55.78 K       17.93 μs   ±328.09%       15.17 μs      105.51 μs


Run5
email_peg_match       67.99 K       14.71 μs    ±91.58%       13.46 μs       28.56 μs
email_re_match        61.54 K       16.25 μs    ±82.78%       15.06 μs       30.47 μs

Run6
email_peg_match       67.31 k       14.86 μs    ±89.79%       13.48 μs       28.62 μs
email_re_match        61.50 k       16.26 μs    ±83.86%       15.04 μs       31.93 μs

Run7 (on AC)
email_peg_match       86.17 K       11.60 μs   ±194.81%        9.74 μs       21.11 μs
email_re_match        73.69 K       13.57 μs   ±421.42%       10.89 μs       22.02 μs

ityonemo

ityonemo OP

tried using these parsers (BNF/ABNF/lex) and I just couldn’t get them to do what I want

I’ve been exposed for the mid developer that I am b/c that’s why I wrote Pegasus =D

benchmark

Well damn! That’s great and very unexpected!!

tj0

tj0

Ha, I wonder what that makes the rest of us. :rofl: It seems even the creator of Python had the same commentary. PEP 617 – New PEG parser for CPython | peps.python.org .

Looks like python is changing their internal parser to PEG. From some cursory research, https://janet-lang.org/ has PEG by default instead of PCRE/Regex in the standard library.

After all this exploration, I’m surprised Pegasus isn’t more popular. I’m guessing it might be because people don’t quite understand how to use it despite its awesomeness (or they don’t need to write grammars).Or it might be because it’s not so easy to do a mental-model replacement of Regex. A ton of people use nimble_parsec though it looks like, so it’s probably just a ergonomics thing. Here are some of my first impressions here while I was trying to get it working.

From the docs:

  • parser options [:collect, :token, :tag, :post_traverse, :ignore] work on elements of a PEG, but I didn’t figure that out until I read the code from the other repos.
  • parser options [:start_position, :export, :parser, :alias] seem to operate on the data and I’m not sure what they are for.

I was just trying to figure out how to turn the functions in Pegasus into something I understood from other languages aka:

  • Regex.capture
  • Regex.match

So I had to go thru your other packages to understand that I actually wanted defparsec because I first tried using [parser: true, export: true].

Regarding captures, I think the issues I had are just documentation related. I ended up going thru your other codebases to figure out that I needed to use [:tag, :collect, :post_traverse]. There’s a little more boilerplate than regex, but I don’t think that can be gotten rid of. But perhaps the default should be [collect: true]? It was very confusing to see a series of characters.

Regarding match, I added a bit of extra boilerplate to get the equivalent functionality of Regex.match.

Definitely, would be nice to have both a match and capture setup that worked cleanly after putting a grammar string in.

  @email_options [
   Name: [tag: :name],
   Domain: [tag: :domain],
   At: [ignore: true],
   TLD: [tag: :tld],
   Dot: [ignore: true]
  ]

  Pegasus.parser_from_string(
  """
  Email <- Name At (Domain)+ TLD
  Name <- ([a-zA-Z0-9_\.\\-]+)
  Domain <- ([A-Za-z0-9\\-]+ Dot)+
  TLD <- ([A-Za-z\.]) ([A-Za-z\.])+
  Dot <- '.'
  At  <- '@'
  """,
  @email_options
  )
  defparsec :parse_email, parsec(:Email)
  def peg_match_email(email) do
    case parse_email(email) do
    {:ok, result, "", _, _, _} -> :ok
      _ -> :error
    end
  end

Anyway, thank you and great work. I’m halfway done writing a parser for semi-structured text, if it’s useful, I could take some notes on what was tough to figure out.

D4no0

D4no0

I’ve literally read about 2 books on how to design an interpreter/compiler, built a primitive language in lex/yacc. If you would ask me nowadays how I did it, I would literally have no answer, as I don’t remember, the material just did not click for me entirely.

My interest got sparked when I understood how macros work in elixir, and how powerful of concept that is. I’ve used those concepts in some interesting binary parsing libraries. The limitation of course is clear, the syntax must abide to elixir parser rules, but in general this covers 99% of my DSL needs.

Taking in consideration that I also had courses at university covering the topic of grammars, I think the topic is either too academical or complex for my liking, or there is a steep learning curve until you understand the practical application correctly.

I am absolutely not a fan or regex, even to this day I try to avoid it whenever possible and thank God for platforms that let you try regex with inputs :sob: .

Just from the praise above, I will try PEG when I will have some free time, it seems much more friendly compared to the alternatives.

jkwchui

jkwchui

Thanks to @ityonemo for the library and @tj0 for bringing this up the forum. It sure looks like a better way than long indecipherable regular expressions. I have two questions once I start exploring:

  1. are there examples of how post_traverse work? (My attempts have only yielded some obscure CaseClauseError)

  2. I noted that there is a Pegasus.Components module. How is this supposed to be used?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

restlessronin
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub. Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
152 12366 136
New
type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews