zacky1972

zacky1972

Creator of Pelemay

This is a present of the end of year for Elixir programmers from me: The new package “Pelemay Fast Parallel map” has been released! It drives multi cores and is 3x faster than Enum! Check it out, soon!

Pelemay Fast Parallel map (or pelemay_fp) - Fast parallel map function for Elixir

Pelemay Fast Parallel map: provides fast Parallel map function, similar to the Enum module, although computations will be executed in parallel using Process.spawn/4.

Here is a quick example on how to calculate the square of each element with PelemayFp:

list
|> PelemayFp.map(& &1 * &1)

We conducted performance evaluation of PelemayFp, Pelemay, Flow, Enum and Pmap on iMac Pro (2017):

## PelemayFpBench
benchmark name          iterations   average time 
PelemayFp                      200   10177.85 µs/op
Pelemay                        100   16762.24 µs/op
PelemayFp and Pelemay          100   18532.70 µs/op
Flow (without sorting)         100   18731.43 µs/op
Enum                            50   31283.36 µs/op
Flow (with sorting)             10   105091.00 µs/op
Pmap                             1   1213749.00 µs/op

Thanks! A happy new year!

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Eiji

Eiji

Nice idea! Here goes something from me … :smiling_imp:
https://github.com/zeam-vm/pelemay_fp/issues/2

zacky1972

zacky1972 OP

Creator of Pelemay

Thank you!
It’s quite a strange behavior…

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

How does this compare to Task.async_stream, which would be the core way of separating computations into different processes?

zacky1972

zacky1972 OP

Creator of Pelemay

Thank you. TIL Task.async_stream.

zacky1972

zacky1972 OP

Creator of Pelemay

I may have misunderstood the specification of spawn_monitor . Perhaps once a child process is launched by spawn_monitor , will it be started again even if it quit by executing exit(:normal) ?

Eiji

Eiji

@LostKobrakai I tried Task.async_stream/2 in few benchmarks, but results are not as good as expected …

Edit Updated benchmarks:

pelemay_fp: benchee

benchmark.exs
defmodule Benchmark do
  @list Enum.to_list(1..100)

  def run do
    Benchee.run(
      %{
        "enum" => fn -> Enum.map(@list, &logistic_map_10/1) end,
        "pelemay_fp" => fn -> PelemayFp.map(@list, &logistic_map_10/1) end,
        "stream" => fn -> @list |> Stream.map(&logistic_map_10/1) |> Stream.run() end,
        "task_async_stream" => fn -> @list |> Task.async_stream(&logistic_map_10/1) |> Enum.to_list() end
      },
      time: 10,
      memory_time: 2
    )    
  end

  defp logistic_map_10(v) do
    logistic_map(v)
    |> logistic_map()
    |> logistic_map()
    |> logistic_map()
    |> logistic_map()
    |> logistic_map()
    |> logistic_map()
    |> logistic_map()
    |> logistic_map()
    |> logistic_map()
  end

  defp logistic_map(v) do
    rem(22 * v * (v + 1), 6_700_417)
  end
end

Benchmark.run()
mix run benchmark.exs
Operating System: Linux
CPU Information: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
Number of Available Cores: 8
Available memory: 15.53 GB
Elixir 1.11.2
Erlang 23.2.1

Benchmark suite executing with the following configuration:
warmup: 2 s
time: 10 s
memory time: 2 s
parallel: 1
inputs: none specified
Estimated total run time: 56 s

Benchmarking enum...
Benchmarking pelemay_fp...
Benchmarking stream...
Benchmarking task_async_stream...

Name                        ips        average  deviation         median         99th %
pelemay_fp              37.47 K       26.69 μs  ±5358.81%        9.10 μs      295.71 μs
enum                    28.89 K       34.61 μs    ±41.28%       31.53 μs       57.92 μs
stream                  24.44 K       40.91 μs   ±251.74%       35.87 μs       65.61 μs
task_async_stream        0.43 K     2342.98 μs    ±33.40%     2127.96 μs     4539.60 μs

Comparison: 
pelemay_fp              37.47 K
enum                    28.89 K - 1.30x slower +7.92 μs
stream                  24.44 K - 1.53x slower +14.22 μs
task_async_stream        0.43 K - 87.78x slower +2316.29 μs

Memory usage statistics:

Name                      average  deviation         median         99th %
pelemay_fp                2.10 KB     ±0.00%        2.10 KB        2.10 KB
enum                      1.56 KB     ±0.00%        1.56 KB        1.56 KB
stream                    4.35 KB     ±0.00%        4.35 KB        4.35 KB
task_async_stream       120.59 KB     ±0.69%      120.73 KB      121.70 KB

Comparison: 
pelemay_fp                2.10 KB
enum                      1.56 KB - 0.74x memory usage -0.53906 KB
stream                    4.35 KB - 2.07x memory usage +2.25 KB
task_async_stream       120.59 KB - 57.38x memory usage +118.49 KB

pelemay_fp_benchmark: pelemay_fp_benchmark

mix bench
Settings:
  duration:      1.0 s

## PelemayFpBench
[13:29:41] 1/7: Async stream
[13:29:43] 2/7: Enum
[13:29:45] 3/7: Flow (with sorting)
[13:29:46] 4/7: Flow (without sorting)
[13:29:49] 5/7: PelemayFp
[13:29:50] 6/7: Pmap
[13:29:53] 7/7: Stream

Finished in 14.4 seconds

## PelemayFpBench
benchmark name          iterations   average time 
PelemayFp                      100   12119.25 µs/op
Flow (without sorting)         100   23138.32 µs/op
Enum                            50   29528.56 µs/op
Stream                          50   40619.40 µs/op
Flow (with sorting)             10   109108.60 µs/op
Pmap                             2   878048.00 µs/op
Async stream                     1   2257371.00 µs/op
al2o3cr

al2o3cr

PelemayFp splits the incoming value into chunks of 12000, so I’m not sure what this benchmark demonstrates - it will only spawn one worker. FWIW, the code in pelemay_fp_benchmark/bench/pelemay_fp_bench.exs at main · zeam-vm/pelemay_fp_benchmark · GitHub use a limit of 100k.

zacky1972

zacky1972 OP

Creator of Pelemay

Fix this issue. Thanks!

zacky1972

zacky1972 OP

Creator of Pelemay

I added benchmark of Stream and Task.async_stream. Thanks

## PelemayFpBench
benchmark name          iterations   average time 
PelemayFp                      100   14143.22 µs/op
Pelemay                        100   18627.19 µs/op
PelemayFp and Pelemay          100   20414.04 µs/op
Flow (without sorting)         100   20720.33 µs/op
Enum                            50   31957.12 µs/op
Stream                          50   38792.98 µs/op
Flow (with sorting)             10   116906.90 µs/op
Pmap                             2   830539.50 µs/op
Task.async_stream                1   1099493.00 µs/op
al2o3cr

al2o3cr

I tried out some changes to increase the per-element workload, because there’s a fair bit of overhead with starting communicating processes. See notes in [WIP] make work adjustable, add extra tests by al2o3cr · Pull Request #1 · zeam-vm/pelemay_fp_benchmark · GitHub

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews