CharlesIrvine
I have a open source GenServer based library application. It currently persists data in a CubDB database. I would like to migrate from CubDB to Postgres. I have used Ecto/Postgres before with a Phoenix web app, but I’m unsure of how things will work if I’m adding Ecto/Postgres to a library app.
It would be great if I could get some general pointers on the steps that I will need to take. What will users of my library need to do to support both my libraries persistence and their own persistence needs. Will there be two databases, one for my library and a separate one for the using application?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
garrison
I think the canonical example for this is the way Oban handles migrations.
Personally I have a library which just generates migrations directly into my application (codegen), but that’s because it’s intended for my own use only
CharlesIrvine
Thanks for your help. The Oban approach makes sense. Oban makes use of the client application’s database. Now, my library app will take the same approach.
I had been thinking that my library would have it’s own database, which did seem troublesome. I do wonder, though, if there are any circumstances that might warrant this approach.
As an added bonus, I see that I have some use cases that are a perfect fit for Oban.
garrison
If you have no need for atomic transactions across your library and the user’s database, it could be useful for performance reasons to scale out to two physical database servers for a small subset of users that need to handle such load.
I think it would be fine in that case to make it the user’s problem, though - they can simply run the migrations on a different Ecto repo