dub2

dub2

Any good ideas for a personal project to learn the basics of phoenix and liveview. I have no itch to scratch per se, nothing in my life is in want of a webapp. This is purely to make a living one day if this ever becomes popular.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

psantos

psantos

Try to build a personal finances management app. I think with it, you will be able to apply must of the basics of phoenix and liveview.

greven

greven

You can always create a blog, I know it’s beating the dead horse but you can make it more interesting. You can start with the basics, making all LiveView can be interesting as you can play with PubSub to add real time updates to pages (like the posts lists when adding / updating a new post).
Building an admin for the blog in LiveView will have you play with Authentication. You can add a rich editor for writing / editing the posts which will make you play most certainly play with JS Hooks and external JS libraries.
Want o make it more interesting? Create a simple analytics module and create a stats page to show posts visualizations, etc. :slight_smile:

Then there is images uploads and if you want adding image pre-processing / optimization, SEO, etc.

Even though a Blog can be a 15 minutes thing it can also be a very extensive development endeavor if you want to make it a polished project.

Another idea, an application that deals with GIS Data using Postgresql and PostGIS, maping something that interests you. :slight_smile:

D4no0

D4no0

For me projects with data ingestion and display from other sources are interesting, as you don’t have to think how to generate data yourself. There are a lot of cool ideas where you can download a lot of data for free. Some ideas I had for some time:

  • IGDB - you can try to make a clone of their games list, or you can spin something of your own, like some graphs on most played games;
  • OpenCelliD or OpenWeatherMap - if you’ve never played with maps technology like postgis, maplibre, you will find it very interesting displaying your own things on the map, you can even spice it up with something realtime via websockets;
  • Membrane - this is an amazing technology, want to try it myself someday. You can try to clone a part of functionality of youtube videos, should be a very interesting experience!
  • SprintInitializr - This is a great tool to generate an initial project for spring, and it would be an immense advancement in phoenix community if you could make something like this for phoenix and liveview, as currently a lot of people struggle with the default generator that is installed by hex, as there are still breaking changes in liveview. You could even mix it up with the generators provided by phoenix like gen.auth to offer truly a centralized experience for generating a initial project without any hassle.
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews