maz
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Latest Phoenix Threads
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
What for?
Just use any elixir enabled dockerfile and build the release on that, move the release to any erlang enabled image after that and run them there (or if you included ERTS you could try to go even
FROM scratchor other minimal containers without erlang preinstalled).If though you want to simply run
mixh phx.server, you still can use any elixir enabled image. There is no need for a special phoenix 1.4 image.Of course you might need to provide additional dependencies like node on the build stage etc.
maz
Of course yes, I had a problem before because dev machine was using 1.4@headrev when 1.3.x was the current release. When I built the Docker image, it used 1.3.x and failed. I shouldn’t have that problem anymore because the versions will be the same.
NobbZ
Then you probably had not properly constrained your requirements in your
mix.exs.beardedeagle
I don’t install phoenix for you, but I make it pretty damn easy. I keep it pretty up to date if you are into that kind of thing, and have some updates to push this week.
https://github.com/beardedeagle/alpine-phoenix-builder
maz
It wasn’t a compile-time error, but a runtime error, so no, I don’t think so.
edit –
here is the link:
NobbZ
As I said, I’m not a friend of those images.
Just start with a bare elixir or node image and install the other, do not pull in under any circumstances
phx_geninto that image.Don’t install any archive in that image besides
hexandrebarvia their correspondinglocalcommands.maz
Sure, you have a decent point there. Thanks.
b33rduck
Nice, thx for sharing this!
augnustin
You ask the question and then you detail all the extra steps. That’s exactly what the official image would be for: not to have to worry about those steps!
When I look at my
Dockerfile, I don’t think this comes out-of-the-box:My comments:
mix local.hexandlocal.rebarare for, but apparently I need it.node+yarnwould come pre-installedFor all those reasons, I’d be in favor of having a official phoenix docker image.
NobbZ
They install
hexandrebarin a way that they can be used by `mix to fetch dependencies/compile rebar projects.You do not need node, as JavaScript should already be precompiled in the build step.
This is exactly what @beardedeagle s images are for.
Just to cite his announcement from the slack: