Phoenix 1.4.0 released!

phoenix-release

First off, Milligram is tiny. The big goal is for all of our generated markup, whether phx.new or phx.gen.html, is to be classless, while still looking great out of the box. Milligram gives us that. We’re not prescribing you use Milligram for all your styles, rather we are allowing folks to hit the ground running and not have to rewrite all their HTML later when they go to use Bootstrap, foundation, Bulma, et al, or their own custom CSS solutions.

classless is a good idea. Thanks!

Ah I misunderstood. Thanks!

Good job, Is there a specific schedule for rc1 or any other rc.x?

Anyone else excited that this means LiveView is one step closer? :048:

Phoenix LiveView Info

Excited? Very much so – I can’t wait! However, I doubt we will see LiveView any time in the near future :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Phoenix LiveView Info

Hmmm I dunno you know… maybe if we all chip in and buy Chris a few hundred packets of those chocolate beans it’ll be ready in about, erm, a week? :lol:

Phoenix LiveView Info

I’m down! :joy:

Is telemetry expected to stabilize before Ecto 3.0 is released? Currently it says:

NOTICE : This library is in very much alpha stage. API may (and probably will!) change in unpredictable ways. Use with caution.

If Ecto 3.0 includes Telemetry with an API that changes in a later version of Telemetry, wouldn’t an upgrade to that version be considered a breaking change (assuming the differences are visible to the user)?

The new generators also use Milligram

How about not to include any css library at all?

Thank you, it’s a very small thing but very much appreciated

Indeed, I’ve wasted a lot of time trying to generate ssl certs for development.

Also congratulations on 1.4-rc0 Phoenix has been a pleasure to work with, thank you for your hard work!

It’s important for things to look nice out-of-the-box, as well as be usable. This matters for prototypes, as well as beginners just getting started. The amount of effort to remove is deleting phoenix.css and removing the import from your app.css file.

Out of the box for backend, perhaps.

But out of the box for frontend, Rails does this, and it is awful. :worried:

I apologize, I’m only voicing my opinion.

But Elixir runs on the backend…

We’re talking about Phoenix. A web framework.

It’s so minimal tho - 2kb. Just delete the css and it’s as good as never have been there :003:

I normally would immediately agree with you but after making a few test apps yesterday I can say that it’s trivial to remove Milligram. It’s a 1-minute job.

But I am actually quite impressed by it. Whoever made it is a magician.

Couple of questions (maybe for @chrismccord?):

1. Are docs available online for 1.4.0-rc.0?
  2. Will devs be able to install previous phoenix releases using the mix archive.install hex phx_new XXXX syntax?

I wonder if it is possible to implement a command for custom boilerplates? This way, everyone can have its own setup for new generated apps, and share them with the community. Let’s say, I want React + Redux + Bulma as my frontend libraries. So I run:

mix phx.new --template https://github.com/foobar/react-redux-bulma-starter

And I get all setup and ready right out-of-the-box. It’s just a quickly idea, but we can think about it, this flexibility would be awesome.

BuckleScript / ReasonML already has something like this: https://reasonml.github.io/docs/en/installation#new-project

BTW, congrats for the release.