n1c0

n1c0

Hello everyone,

I am upgrading a phoenix 1.5 app to 1.6 and I am running into some issues with the way npm packages are handled with esbuild.

I am trying to use the web3 js library to connect a wallet via metamask and the likes…it works perfectly with webpack/phoenix 1.5 but when I use esbuild and phoenix 1.6 I am facing the following issue:

index.js:20 Uncaught ReferenceError: require is not defined
    at node_modules/web3-core-requestmanager/lib/index.js (index.js:20)
    at __require (app.js:26)
    at node_modules/web3-core/lib/index.js (index.js:22)
    at __require (app.js:26)
    at node_modules/web3/lib/index.js (index.js:29)
    at __require (app.js:26)
    at app.js:159

JS & its non-sense not really my area of expertise, tried a few stuff, adding some npm packages etc…but in vain

here’s my config.exs section on esbuild:

config :esbuild,
  version: "0.14.10",
  default: [
    args:
      ~w(js/app.js --bundle --sourcemap --target=es2017 --outdir=../priv/static/assets --external:/fonts/* --external:/images/*),
    cd: Path.expand("../assets", __DIR__),
    env: %{"NODE_PATH" => Path.expand("../deps", __DIR__)}
  ]

and my package.json

{
  "scripts": {
    "deploy": "NODE_ENV=production npx tailwindcss --postcss --minify --input=css/app.css --output=../priv/static/assets/app.css"
  },
  "devDependencies": {
    "autoprefixer": "^10.4.0",
    "postcss": "^8.3.11",
    "postcss-cli": "^9.0.2",
    "postcss-import": "^14.0.2"
  },
  "dependencies": {
    "@fortawesome/fontawesome-free": "^5.15.4",
    "@tailwindcss/aspect-ratio": "^0.3.0",
    "@tailwindcss/forms": "^0.3.4",
    "@tailwindcss/typography": "^0.4.1",
    "@walletconnect/web3-provider": "^1.7.0",
    "alpinejs": "^3.5.2",
    "eth-sig-util": "^3.0.1",
    "nprogress": "^0.2.0",
    "tailwindcss": "^2.2.19",
    "web3": "^1.6.1",
    "web3modal": "^1.9.5"
  }
}

I have seen the doc on using plugins for esbuild in the phoenix hexdocs pages but no idea on how to do that and if it will solve my issue.

Thanks in advance!

Showing Posts 1 to 7

barberj

barberj

Running into same issue. Did you get this resolved?

My project is fairly vanilla. New starting from phx 1.6.

package.json

{
  "dependencies": {
    "web3": "^1.7.3"
  }
}

config/config.exs

# Configure esbuild (the version is required)
config :esbuild,
  version: "0.14.0",
  default: [
    args:
      ~w(js/app.js --bundle --target=es2017 --outdir=../priv/static/assets --external:/fonts/* --external:/images/*),
    cd: Path.expand("../assets", __DIR__),
    env: %{"NODE_PATH" => Path.expand("../deps", __DIR__)}
  ]

In my app.js just importing import "web3"

n1c0

n1c0 OP

Hi there,

I have found a workaround maybe not the most elegant…I gathered the minified js libraries into the vendor folder and put that in my app.js

import Web3 from "../vendor/web3.min";
import WalletConnect from "../vendor/walletclient.min";
import WalletConnectQRCodeModal from "../vendor/qrcode-modal.min";

It works fine like that but f you find another solution, please let us know as with this one I need to manually update for new versions of the libraries…

barberj

barberj

weird. i even get the issue using the minified version

 > vendor/web3.min.js:1:643: error: Could not resolve "core-js/modules/es6.object.freeze" (mark it as external to exclude it from the bundle, or surround it with try/catch to handle the failure at run-time)
    1 │ ... e})(e)}require("core-js/modules/es6.object.freeze"),require("core...
      ╵                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 > vendor/web3.min.js:1:688: error: Could not resolve "core-js/modules/es6.string.code-point-at" (mark it as external to exclude it from the bundle, or surround it with try/catch to handle the failure at run-time)
    1 │ ...e"),require("core-js/modules/es6.string.code-point-at"),require("c...
      ╵                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~```
mhanberg

mhanberg

Expert LSP Core Team

It might be more helpful to reach out on the esbuild GitHub repository. I’m not the problem pertains to Phoenix specifically.

barberj

barberj

danka…

In the end I found the prebuilt from web3 and am vendoring that.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

<script src="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/web3@latest/dist/web3.min.js"></script>

Also make sure to send your private keys to the maintainers, because this is a giant security hole. At least lock a particular version and use subresource integrity…

baldmountain

baldmountain

There is a better way to fix this. Update your esbuild config like this:

config :esbuild,
  version: "0.12.18",
  default: [
    args: ~w(js/app.js --bundle --target=es2016 --outdir=../priv/static/assets),
    cd: Path.expand("../assets", __DIR__),
    env: %{"NODE_PATH" => "#{Path.expand("../deps", __DIR__)}:#{Path.join(__DIR__, "node_modules")}"}
  ]

Note that there are two entries for NODE_PATH. One for deps and one for node_modules. You can then add whatever Javascript and CSS to node_modules and then import it into app.js and app.css.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews